1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mareks disease shots

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by hstgonzo34, Nov 18, 2008.

1. hstgonzo34

hstgonzo34 New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Should you get this shot when ordering from a hatchery, mcmurray doesnt say but ideal recomends not getting it. What is every body opinion.

2. HenSpa

HenSpa Chillin' With My Peeps

Coming from someone who's fighting it in her flock, get the vaccine...

3. herechickchick

herechickchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    Memphis TN
    If you get it you will need to vaccinate all new bids with it, meaning any birds you buy from lets say a breeder that have not had the vaccine. Someone correct me if I am wrong. [​IMG]

4. K7 Menagerie

K7 Menagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2008
    Bend, OR
    The tiny cost of the shot is well worth the investment, especially compared to how much it would cost you if the disease invaded your flock.....

5. hstgonzo34

hstgonzo34 New Egg

Sep 9, 2008
    Thanks that is what I thought. I just never bought anything from Ideal before, I just bought meat birds from mcmurray and got the shot for them, but ideal said that they do not recommend it for small flocks. So I thought I would ask the fine people of BYC, and get my answer. Thank you all.

6. Momo

Momo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2008
    Nelson BC
    It's not necessarily recommended for small flocks because they're less likely to be exposed to the disease, but I lost most of my small flock to it. Get them vaccinated!

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    We have been hit with Marek's and I strongly recommend the shots!

8. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    What is Mareks disease?

9. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Quote:Marek's disease is one of the most common chicken diseases in the world. There are different types. The most common type is the paralysys kind. That is the kind that the vaccine protects against. The disease is worldwide and found almost everywhere in the outdoor environment. It is caused by a herpes virus.

edited because I can't spell today

Last edited: Nov 19, 2008
  10. mrandmrschicken

mrandmrschicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2008
    NW IA
    So, a form of the herpes virus that affects poultry? And is found in the soil? Right?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by