Marek's disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jenniferrose, Aug 19, 2016.

1. jenniferrose

jenniferrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    I know there is a lot of threads out there about this but I am upset and would love some advice.

We lost our first chicken today to, we think, Marek's. The vet said that is what they think it is but without doing a blood test they cant confirm. We chose not to do that. Her symptoms definitely line up.

We have 16 other chickens. From what I read there is really nothing I can do (short of vaccinating them all)... correct? If we did vaccinate them... any idea what the cost on something like that is?

They have a large run they are in all day so it is very ventilated. I am so sad - these truly were our pets - and now I am terrified we will lose them all.

Thank you.

Edited to add: I did more reading and can see that it really is not effective to vaccinate an older chicken. I also called the place we got the majority of our chickens and they do vaccinate all of their chicks so I feel a bit better. We do have 3 others from our first flock (different place) so I am worried about them. Are there any early signs to watch for? And if you notice early enough is there anything you can do about it?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm sorry for your loss.

Unfortunately without testing/necropsy there really is no way to confirm cause of death. There are a few illnesses/disorders that can "mimic" Marek's - these are explained in the link below.

Vaccination is usually administered as day old chicks - not on older chickens. While the vaccination prevents tumor formation, it does not prevent infection by the virus.

Here is a very good article for you:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

3. jenniferrose

jenniferrose Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2015
    Thank you. Our girl we lost looked just like your profile picture.

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Aww..was she a Barred Rock?

They are sweet girls, I do like mine - I have 2 of them in my flock.

If you do happen to have another one present with the same illness, then you may want to have the testing done. There are a few other illnesses and disorders that can "mimic" Marek's. Not necessarily good, but it's nice to know for sure what you are dealing with.

There are quite a few people who do keep flocks with Marek's, so you may want to look up some of those threads to see if anyone has any tips, if any of your other girls happen to get sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by