Mareks Disease

Madeline90

Chirping
Apr 26, 2017
So after almost a month of trying to figure this thing out, a necropsy histology finally came back that it is Mareks disease. I’ve lost 4 so far to it, and have one quarantined inside that is now my handicapped girl who is doing well except the immobility. We haven’t had another show the symptoms in over two weeks so I feel hopeful.

I have done extensive research so I know anything and everything about the disease. Anyway, any ever had to live with Mareks in their flock? We are so depressed about it and would love any insight on what to expect/ how others have managed this disease with their backyard babies!

Many do manage it.. sorry for your loss and diagnosis. :hugs Good for you for making the effort to get one though!

@rebrascora will you please share a little hope?! TIA :highfive:

I personally manage (no current diagnosis, and I do have experience processing roosters now) by culling ANY birds who shows symptoms immediately... and keep nutrition high... using a 20% protein flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for layers... not diminishing with low (nutrient) quality treats like scratch. I also WON'T have a vaccinated bird at my place to HIDE symptoms.

Hang in there, I know it's scary. :fl

So after almost a month of trying to figure this thing out, a necropsy histology finally came back that it is Mareks disease. I’ve lost 4 so far to it, and have one quarantined inside that is now my handicapped girl who is doing well except the immobility. We haven’t had another show the symptoms in over two weeks so I feel hopeful.

I have done extensive research so I know anything and everything about the disease. Anyway, any ever had to live with Mareks in their flock? We are so depressed about it and would love any insight on what to expect/ how others have managed this disease with their backyard babies!

I'm sorry for your losses but it doesn't have to be terrifying. There will possibly be more but what else to expect depends on what your plans for the future are. Have you figured that out yet?

Many do manage it.. sorry for your loss and diagnosis. :hugs Good for you for making the effort to get one though!

@rebrascora will you please share a little hope?! TIA :highfive:

I personally manage (no current diagnosis, and I do have experience processing roosters now) by culling ANY birds who shows symptoms immediately... and keep nutrition high... using a 20% protein flock raiser with oyster shell on the side for layers... not diminishing with low (nutrient) quality treats like scratch. I also WON'T have a vaccinated bird at my place to HIDE symptoms.

Hang in there, I know it's scary. :fl

I understand no scratch, but do you treat your flock at all? If so, what do you give them? Also, what feed?

I understand no scratch, but do you treat your flock at all? If so, what do you give them? Also, what feed?
I'm a serious tightwad with treats... but on occasion I might offer live meal worm, scrambled egg (being aware that eggs and mealworm are both VERY high in fat), or chicken grower/turkey/ or gamebird starter pellets tossed out as something different yet still fully formulated. On very rare occasions they might get a little left over cooked rice or pasta. They have access to anything that comes from the garden like berries, tomatoes, lettuce and such.. which I consider to be part of their free range diet. Range here is considered lush and teaming with insect life.

Recently I have given them soured curdled milk mixed in the feed... instead of sending it to the trash. They really like it. And a non avian nutritionist advised it was a good use for the product. So it's been an experiment basically.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser on a regular basis. Sometime I cut it with Purina turkey starter to increase protein (and amino acid) content when I have chicks or molting hens.

Since my bird are pasture ranged, I realize I have very little control over which plants or bugs they consume.

I never worm without a fecal float to confirm need and species to be treated.

Shortly before hatching I offer a drinker dosed with Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell... maybe a few times per year.

I had Mareks diagnosed with nacropsy and I dicided to cull my flock and try to start over because it was very severe and I was losing a lot of birds, and they were all silkies so they are not very risistant to Mareks either. I was soo sad and tired of losing bird after bird that my husband and I made the hartbreaking decision to put everyone down except my polish hen which lives in our house with us and hasent been in contact with our other birds so we waited about a year the got all new birds but we cleaned up really well with a shop vac to get all the dust and dander then we used vickron in a fogger and repeted that 3 times (every square inch) every surface and removed everything and burnt it, then we vickroned the outside, the grass, the dirt ect wherever our birds hung out most. This eliminated Mareks as we have all silkies and polish and not one bird has come down with Mareks yet and most are 4 years old and some are under a year so it seams we got rid of it!!, of course I'm not recomending you do what I did but am just sharing my story and what I decided to do and belive me it was soo devestating to have to put everyone down but they were very much suffering and I just couldn't bear to watch them anymore as the strain we has was very virulant.

Well, on the plus side, you know what it is. So, you can either just watch them and cull like crazy until you have a resistant flock, or you can start over. Either with vaccinated or unvaccinated new birds.

Personally, since it's basically endemic, I'd just cull and keep what survived and carry on.

I'm a serious tightwad with treats... but on occasion I might offer live meal worm, scrambled egg (being aware that eggs and mealworm are both VERY high in fat), or chicken grower/turkey/ or gamebird starter pellets tossed out as something different yet still fully formulated. On very rare occasions they might get a little left over cooked rice or pasta. They have access to anything that comes from the garden like berries, tomatoes, lettuce and such.. which I consider to be part of their free range diet. Range here is considered lush and teaming with insect life.

Recently I have given them soured curdled milk mixed in the feed... instead of sending it to the trash. They really like it. And a non avian nutritionist advised it was a good use for the product. So it's been an experiment basically.

I feed Purina Flock Raiser on a regular basis. Sometime I cut it with Purina turkey starter to increase protein (and amino acid) content when I have chicks or molting hens.

Since my bird are pasture ranged, I realize I have very little control over which plants or bugs they consume.

I never worm without a fecal float to confirm need and species to be treated.

Shortly before hatching I offer a drinker dosed with Rooster Booster brand Poultry Cell... maybe a few times per year.

Thank you I was thinking the fruits and veg would be treats so this is great to know. I rarely give my flock rice and never did give them pasta.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom