Mareks disease

Lulu35

In the Brooder
Mar 18, 2021
Hi there everyone! I have a question that maybe one of you have some insight on. So my stepdaughter and her mom have a lot of chickens, turkeys, ducks, quails and pretty much every type of bird you can possible have. They just killed all their chickens because they believed they have Mareks Disease. Im so nervous I have 20 chickens and I love my birds, they are not replaceable to me. Can she bring that to my house on her clothes or shoes. Oh and her mom was over today and had to go over and visit with my chickens. Its like what the hell stay away from my chickens while your dealing with diseased ones. It just makes me nervous.

Hi there everyone! I have a question that maybe one of you have some insight on. So my stepdaughter and her mom have a lot of chickens, turkeys, ducks, quails and pretty much every type of bird you can possible have. They just killed all their chickens because they believed they have Mareks Disease. Im so nervous I have 20 chickens and I love my birds, they are not replaceable to me. Can she bring that to my house on her clothes or shoes. Oh and her mom was over today and had to go over and visit with my chickens. Its like what the hell stay away from my chickens while your dealing with diseased ones. It just makes me nervous.
They think they had Marek's and killed their entire flock?? They didn't know? Were any of the birds necropsied to confirm?
Yes, MD virus can linger in the chicken dander for years so if your step daughter and her mother have any of their chickens dander on them, they can transfer the virus.

What usually kills unvaccinated chickens is exposing them to vaccinated ones.
Never, ever mix vaccinated and unvaccinated chickens. Marek's vaccination is what they call a "leaky" vaccination in that it prevents death of the host but does not prevent transmission, and it allows the virus to become increasingly "hot" or more deadly. Vaccinated chickens transmit 10,000 times more of the deadly virus than an unvaccinated bird, and the virus has evolved so strong now that it has the capability of killing 100% of unvaccinated chickens the vaccinated chicken comes into contact with. Always ask whether the chickens have been vaccinated before adding them to your flock. Chicks bought from Tractor Supply stores are not vaccinated. Chicks bought from Ace Hardware are.

Research Marek's Vaccine. This is a known fact (and snowballing problem) in the commercial poultry world, threatening the very existence of chickens in the future. The first vaccine of 1970 eventually stopped working, so a second was developed in 1983, and when that began to fail, a third, which is what we are on now. The virus keeps evolving hotter strains (killing far more unvaccinated chickens than it did before the vaccine was developed). These variants are increasingly resistant to vaccination (killing more and more vaccinated chickens). Here's just one part of one article about a disease ecologist's experiment and findings:

"Read’s group started their investigation by exposing vaccinated and unvaccinated Rhode Island Red chickens to one of five Marek’s disease strains that ranged from hot to cold. The hottest strains killed every unvaccinated bird within 10 days, and the team noticed that barely any virus was shed from the feathers of the chickens during that time. (The virus spreads via contaminated dust in chicken coops). In contrast, vaccination extended the lifespan of birds exposed to the hottest strains, with 80 percent living longer than two months. But the vaccinated chickens were transmitting the virus, shedding 10,000 times more virus than an unvaccinated bird.....“One way to look at that experiment is that shows vaccinating birds kills unvaccinated birds. The vaccination of one group of birds leads to the transmission of a virus so hot that it kills the other birds, said Read said. “If you vaccinate the mothers, the same thing happens. The offspring are protected by the maternal antibodies of the mother and that allows the virus in the chicks to transmit before they kill the host. So they transmit and kill the other individuals.”

https://www.pbs.org/newshour/science/tthis-chicken-vaccine-makes-virus-dangerous
https://www.healthline.com/health-n...n-produce-stronger-versions-of-viruses-072715
https://www.quantamagazine.org/how-vaccines-can-drive-pathogens-to-evolve-20180510/

Last edited:
Sorry I never responded, i forgot i posted this and it never gave me any updats that people responded. I dont really know what goes on at their house. I guess she had some agricultural guy involved. I free range my chickens and soon as she, my stepdaughter comes over I make her change her clothes. I dont believe I have any vaccinated chickens. But can't be 100%. So the reason why I'm on here tonight researching is because one of my chickens i incubated 1.5 years old now has a gray spot on its pupil. Just noticed tonight when putting them up for the night. I wish I took pictures or a flashlight to see if pupil changed. I will tomorrow fist thing. Now I'm really worried. I'll post picture tomorrow.

It almost looks like the pupil isn't round either. Can anybody else tell if its the start of mareks or just an injury and she is going blind.

Attachments

• 20210928_081959.jpg
    20210928_081959.jpg
    444.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210928_082105.jpg
    20210928_082105.jpg
    410 KB · Views: 5
  • 20210928_082110.jpg
    20210928_082110.jpg
    430.8 KB · Views: 5
It almost looks like the pupil isn't round either. Can anybody else tell if its the start of mareks or just an injury and she is going blind.
I'm still fairly new to chickens, but I think having weird shaped pupils is a sign of marks. Hopefully someone else will respond.

Yes I believe as well...damit. It looks like im separating her today and keeping an eye on if anything else is going on..Hopefully it's not to late for the others.

My hen’s eye looks like this—I don’t know if she has Mareks. She acts just fine.

Attachments

• 96ED65A4-1FE3-4475-964F-8BA6DB3DB4D1.png
    96ED65A4-1FE3-4475-964F-8BA6DB3DB4D1.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 5

Back
Top Bottom