marek's disease

playswithfowl

One Earth!
12 Years
Jun 18, 2007
Oregon
I had a hen die of what I believe to be Marek's disease, so I have my hens in a different coop. I was wondering if anyone knows of how to rid the area of the disease? It's been several months since this happened.
Thanks, AJ

Some key points on this virus, that I think you will find helpful..

Mareks is spread through airborne feather dander so microscopic that it can spread from one farm to another via the wind, even when no human or bird contact is made between the two farms. The virus enters through the bird's respiratory tract.

Mareks is extremely contagious but does not spread vertically (to the egg). Youngsters should develop a natural immunity (called 'age resistance'), by the time they're five months old. This is one of the reasons it is important to raise your youngsters separately from your oldsters. The older birds that have encountered Mareks and have managed to survive are carriers. New birds coming in from other flocks are always potential carriers.

Since it is so difficult to control your birds' exposure to Mareks, (showing, bringing in new birds, airborne spread from other farms), the best course is prevention. That starts with completely sanitizing your brooders.

All of this info came from the following article.. http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/page9.htm

I
could not find anything about how to clean up after a case of it, but I am sure a good bleaching and removal of all soil, poop, feathers and dust are necessary to ensure its safe.

Jody​

Back
Top Bottom