mareks disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jodie33, Nov 11, 2009.

1. jodie33

jodie33 New Egg

Oct 19, 2009
    [​IMG] Tonight my 17 week old arucana pullet dies i have only had her for 5 weeks i bought her from a good source which is very popular and say they vaccinate against mareks. However i am not sure what she died of but she had some symptoms of mareks she had laboured breathing runny nose a closed eye and a limp which got progessivley worse over 5 days todat she could not even stand or grip with her feet and couldnt perch i bought her in doors and put her in abox prior to giving her water via a syringe her crop was vertually empty and she went from pooing normally to pooing watery can anyone tell me what she died of [​IMG]

2. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    I'm sorry you lost your hen. I'm not sure what she died of, but it doesn't sound like Marek's to me. Marek's is not a respiratory disease, so the labored breathing, runny nose & closed eye don't fit.

Could it be:

Mycoplasma synoviae
    Synonyms: MS, infectious synovitis, synovitis, silent air sac

Species affected: chickens and turkeys.

Clinical signs: Birds infected with the synovitis form show lameness, followed by lethargy, reluctance to move, swollen joints, stilted gait, loss of weight, and formation of breast blisters. Birds infected with the respiratory form exhibit respiratory distress. Greenish diarrhea is common in dying birds (see Table 1 ). Clinically, the disease in indistinguishable from MG.

Transmission: MS is transmitted from infected breeder to progeny via the egg. Within a flock, MS is spread by direct contact with infected birds as well as through airborne particles over short distances.

Treatment: Recovery is slow for both respiratory and synovitis forms. Several antibiotics are variably effective. The most effective are tylosin, erthromycin, spectinomycin, lincomycin, and chlorotectracycline. These antibiotics can be given by injection while some can be administered in the feed or drinking water. These treatments are most effective when the antibiotics are injected.

Prevention: Eradication is the best and only sure control. Do not use breeder replacements from flocks that have had MS. The National Poultry Improvement Plan monitors for MS.

or......

Newcastle Disease
    Synonyms: pneumoencephalitis

The highly contagious and lethal form of Newcastle disease is known as viscerotropic (attacks the internal organs) velogenic Newcastle disease, VVND, exotic Newcastle disease, or Asiatic Newcastle disease.

Species affected: Newcastle disease affects all birds of all ages. Humans and other mammals are also susceptible to Newcastle. In such species, it causes a mild conjunctivitis.

Clinical signs: There are three forms of Newcastle disease -- mildly pathogenic (lentogenic), moderately pathogenic (mesogenic) and highly pathogenic (velogenic). Newcastle disease is characterized by a sudden onset of clinical signs which include hoarse chirps (in chicks), watery discharge from nostrils, labored breathing (gasping), facial swelling, paralysis, trembling, and twisting of the neck (sign of central nervous system involvement). Mortality ranges from 10 to 80 percent depending on the pathogenicity. In adult laying birds, symptoms can include decreased feed and water consumption and a dramatic drop in egg production (see Table 1 ).

Transmission: The Newcastle virus can be transmitted short distances by the airborne route or introduced on contaminated shoes, caretakers, feed deliverers, visitors, tires, dirty equipment, feed sacks, crates, and wild birds. Newcastle virus can be passed in the egg, but Newcastle-infected embryos die before hatching. In live birds, the virus is shed in body fluids, secretions, excreta, and breath.

Treatment: There is no specific treatment for Newcastle disease. Antibiotics can be given for 3-5 days to prevent secondary bacterial infections (particularly E. coli ). For chicks, increasing the brooding temperature 5°F may help reduce losses.

Prevention: Prevention programs should include vaccination (see publication PS-36, Vaccination of Small Poultry Flocks), good sanitation, and implementation of a comprehensive biosecurity program.

Check here to see if you see anything else that might fit the symptoms your hen had:
    http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/PS044

3. jodie33

jodie33 New Egg

Oct 19, 2009
    Thanks for that but i am more confused now and worried about the rest of my flock

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by