Mareks Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Quailbuddy, May 19, 2010.

1. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    Hi I am getting 7 chicks from my Agriculture teacher but unless the eggs can be vaccinated i dont think I will get them vaccinated. How do I vacinate them as chicks ? I will get them as day olds. Is it absolutely nessesary to vacinate? What will happen if I dont? [​IMG]
    Thanks you from a very nervous soon to be chick mamma [​IMG]

2. Campine Lover

Campine Lover Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Moss Beach, CA
    You don't HAVE to vaccinate against Marek's. It is just a disease that some chickens can get. It is like the possability of you getting chicken pox (lol). This is a serious disease with no cure, so some like to be sure. Most people do not vaccinate, and they are fine.

3. babsbag

babsbag Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    Anderson, CA
    After losing 2 chickens (maybe 3) to Marek's I would vaccinate. There are directions and examples on BYC and on the web. I did 36 older birds just a few nights ago.

The disease is more common than some people think. I think that many birds die from this disease and people just aren't aware that Marek's is killing their chickens. IMO

4. Quailbuddy

Quailbuddy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2010
    Sonoma County CA
    okay thank you for your advice [​IMG]

5. Elite Silkies

Elite Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Jun 17, 2009
    Oklahoma
    My Coop
    The vaccine does not prevent the bird from getting the disease, however, it can decrease the symptoms of the disease. I'm not aware of any vaccine that can be used on older birds, I'll have to check that out. The only one I know of has to be administered at a day old.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by