Marek's Disease

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by newTexan2chickens, Jul 1, 2010.

1. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    So as a complete newbie I had no idea what this disease was until I ran across a thread.... then looked it up.

I have a hen that I got about 5 wks ago or so that has a pronounced limp. One foot actually turns out at a 45 degree angle and she can barely use it.... I assumed it was from being confined with a million other chicks in a rabbit hutch that caused the injury. Is that still likely? I can't take any pics until next week but thought I would ask. She seems fine otherwise and so is the rest of the flock.

2. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If the leg is turned out like that, it sounds more like a deformity than paralysis. Leg deformities are often a product of bad genetics or bad hatching conditions (high or low temps or humidity can cause deformities). Since you don't know the hatching conditions, I'd keep from using her from breeding, but it doesn't really sound like Marek's.

3. newTexan2chickens

newTexan2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Thanks! I was actually thinking of posting on here about if it was humane to keep her and will she be able to live an ok life... but she seems to do just fine. She does lay down a lot more when out free ranging, but since I am there to watch over her I am not too worried about predators.

4. Kedreeva

Kedreeva Longfeather Lane

Jun 10, 2010
    Michigan
    If she's eating, drinking, being social and doesn't appear to be in pain, there's really no reason to cull her (unless you're planning on breeding for quality, and even then I'm sure someone would take her in as a pet). Good luck with her [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by