mareks disease??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ruby Mia, Aug 14, 2013.

1. Ruby Mia

Ruby Mia Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    one of my friends bantams has stopped moving or standing up completely about a week ago. they are having to hand feed him as he only lies on the floor all the time. his injured leg is sticking straight out, but there is no sign of damage to the foot or leg. they had a chicken who had this not so long ago and sadly died. any idea whats wrong? here are some pics;

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 14, 2013
  2. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    Please have a look at Marek's disease,not suggesting he has this,but b/c you mentioned a chicken died with the same symptoms,you should read up on disease.

3. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    thank you for the reply, could it be anything else. he was also breathing very rapidly.

4. ten chicks

ten chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2013
    MB,Canada
    It could be several things,but because he has been like this for a week and one has already died,you need information on Marek's. Have you given him any vitamins in case of a vitamin deficiency? Has it been very hot?

5. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    yes, its been quite hot. i will give him vitimins and hopefully that will give him a boost.

6. R.M.Qureshi

R.M.Qureshi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2011
    Lahore , Pakistan
    Dear Ruby,

I am not an expert but from the picture the feathers on head seems to be little bit fluffed up. Please check the follicles if these are thickened. Keep an eye on the weight loss.
    If you have access to Homeopathic medicine give a combination of Gelsemium 30 and causticum 30 twice daily. till cure.

7. Ruby Mia

Feb 6, 2013
    England
    Thanks, i will give him the medicine [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by