Mareks, for day olds only

snowflake

Crowing
12 Years
Aug 21, 2009
Belding Michigan
I talked to the man selling Mareks vac. and he said you need to vac, day old chicks as it becomes less effective after each additional day of age, he also said the med. feeds are not very useful as they are heated to such a temp as to make the vac. not to effective. He also said they can not get infected by other birds that have been treated because of the type of vaccine they use. You also should not cut the tablets in half because you can't be sure of the amount of med. you are getting per slice of tablet. Any feed back from others? Momma has been hiding her babes and I think they are more then a day old so it is to late to vaccinate, right?
hmm.png

Every day a chick is exposed to possible mareks, so that statement is true.

Medicated chick start has amprollium in it for cocci, it has nothing to do with mareks; there is no vaccine in it.

The mareks vaccine does not spread bird to bird, however a bird that has been vaccinated could still have the disease but show no symptoms and could infect others.

I half and quarter the vaccine myself, but have had no problems or heard of anyone that has had a problem with doing so.

If you know you have mareks on the property, I would vaccinate the chicks immediately or you will more than likely lose them.

PS BUMPING IS AGAINST THE RULES.....

pips&peeps :

Every day a chick is exposed to possible mareks, so that statement is true.

Medicated chick start has amprollium in it for cocci, it has nothing to do with mareks; there is no vaccine in it.

The mareks vaccine does not spread bird to bird, however a bird that has been vaccinated could still have the disease but show no symptoms and could infect others.

I half and quarter the vaccine myself, but have had no problems or heard of anyone that has had a problem with doing so.

If you know you have mareks on the property, I would vaccinate the chicks immediately or you will more than likely lose them.

PS BUMPING IS AGAINST THE RULES.....

Sorry Jean, I'm new.

I suppose I could just make a new post and ask the question again when I want to know the answer to a question posted by someone else that was missed or ignored by the persons who could give a knowledgable answer.

Or maybe just let go unanswered. I know it gives me a bad feeling when no one responds to a question that I felt strongly enough about to risk posting.

At least now the poster got an a response, even if it was the second time around, (bumped by some well meaning person).
smile.png

I could not get the vac. till next week wed. at the earliest, and that is to late, I know the feed is for Cocci but he was saying due to the processing it was not very effective, actually he thought it was a waste of $$ that said, and I still am not sure what to do, I can feed med, feed to chicks but is it ok for the hen? What do you mean by half and quarter? I had talked to Hakes,not sure who else to call.would love more input, as to what can be done? All of my other birds are vaccinated for both Marek and Cocci, and to the best of my knowledge there have been no outbreaks in our area. Never had baby's before

On a slightly related note.. We're picking up some chicks today from a breeder and I asked whether they had them vaccinated and they indicated not.. Is this something I should try to do once I get them home? The chicks are 1.5 to 2 weeks old at this point.. Thx!

Back
Top Bottom