Marek's - I'm so confused

msyfoopoo

In the Brooder
6 Years
Jan 12, 2014
North Chicagoland
Small Flock of 16, 12 hens 1-7 years old, 3 9-wk old pullet, 1 5-wk old cockerel.

Chicagoland IL USA

Sick Hen (4yo??) down for 2.5 weeks. Favored left foot (limp) at first, and laying down often (like to eat grass or scratch). Crated her. Now she lays down 95% of the time while crated. Was eating normal until yesterday. Still grooms, is perky, coos/talks, still laying, etc.... She is thin, and crop last night was soft/squishy, and has dark diarrhea (not watery) since crated, hot here so not sure if panting is heat or breathing difficulties. I'm scared it is Marek's, but just don't know what my next step should be. Everything read says that my entire flock is now infected if she does have Marek's. I have no knowledge of whether any of my birds have had the Marek's vaccine.

Do I get a blood test? Do I give supplements and Worm in case it isn't Marek's? All previously sick hens (other issues) looked sick.... this hen does not look sick, she just favors the left foot and is off balance. Wings are still tucked up, and head held up when standing. She has pecked my doxie when she gets too close to her crate. Will she for sure die of Marek's within a few weeks? Will all birds in my flock die from Marek's? Bio security is not the best. I have not heard of Anyone with Marek's around here.

I would appreciate any help from those experienced in diagnosis of Marek's or other problems that masquerade as Marek's. I will try to make a video of her and post here.

Thanks, Nan

Mareks is only diagnosed by a necropsy.
Have you looked at the bottom of her feet...and her legs real feel to see if there is any bumble foot or injuries?

Can you post pics of her poop too.
Do you offer your chickens a complete chicken feed or just scratch?
Have you ever had their poop tested by a local vet for worms?
Or ever treated for worms before?

Hi

At 4 years old she is well beyond the normal age of a Marek's outbreak (usually it affects birds under 25 weeks). Normally with Marek's they appear uncoordinated (drunk almost) and frustrated that they cannot move their limbs properly. There is a noticeable difference between that and a normal lameness where one leg/foot is consciously favoured because the other is painful. Having seen both types of lameness it is quite easy to tell the difference, but if you haven't seen both it may not be as obvious.
I've had birds crippled with Marek's survive several months and some recover and be perfectly normal for months or even a year until the next attack. Others go down hill quite rapidly. It is extremely unlikely to wipe out your whole flock. I lose 2 or 3 to it each year, but my broody hens reared 56 chicks last year, so whilst each loss is heart breaking, hopefully that puts it into context for you.

I would give your hen's feet a thorough soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath and check for any signs of bumble foot or other injury before worrying that it is Marek's. The age of your hen makes it a lot less likely to be Marek's, but bringing birds into your flock from sources like breeders or auctions/swaps does dramatically increase the risk of your flock contracting it, even with a 30 day quarantine procedure in place, as carriers of the disease can often appear perfectly healthy.

Mareks is only diagnosed by a necropsy.
Have you looked at the bottom of her feet...and her legs real feel to see if there is any bumble foot or injuries?

There is no bumble foot, no broken bones, have soaked legs several times in epsom salts and no change. No swelling on her legs. Bad leg feels identical to the good leg. She has feathered legs (Langshan), and thought she ripped out a feather, but all looks good there too. Temperature of legs identical (they both seem hot though). I will post a video shortly. Her left wing has dropped significantly today beyond the way they drop them in heat (high 87 F today).

Hi

At 4 years old she is well beyond the normal age of a Marek's outbreak (usually it affects birds under 25 weeks). Normally with Marek's they appear uncoordinated (drunk almost) and frustrated that they cannot move their limbs properly. There is a noticeable difference between that and a normal lameness where one leg/foot is consciously favoured because the other is painful. Having seen both types of lameness it is quite easy to tell the difference, but if you haven't seen both it may not be as obvious.
I've had birds crippled with Marek's survive several months and some recover and be perfectly normal for months or even a year until the next attack. Others go down hill quite rapidly. It is extremely unlikely to wipe out your whole flock. I lose 2 or 3 to it each year, but my broody hens reared 56 chicks last year, so whilst each loss is heart breaking, hopefully that puts it into context for you.

I would give your hen's feet a thorough soaking in a warm Epsom salt bath and check for any signs of bumble foot or other injury before worrying that it is Marek's. The age of your hen makes it a lot less likely to be Marek's, but bringing birds into your flock from sources like breeders or auctions/swaps does dramatically increase the risk of your flock contracting it, even with a 30 day quarantine procedure in place, as carriers of the disease can often appear perfectly healthy.

I have soaked in Epsom salts several times a 1/2 hour each time, and no change. I have in the past brought older hens into my flock.... I know.... very bad idea and it is probably catching up to me. No bumblefoot. I can't feel any injury; one leg is like the other, and no swelling in legs/toes. Having troubles knowing if to cull because what if it might be something else? I am starting to give her nutritional yeast (B vitamins), and treated her with Ivermectin (external 4 drops back of neck) for worms. I have never treated for worms.

Can you post pics of her poop too.
Do you offer your chickens a complete chicken feed or just scratch?
Have you ever had their poop tested by a local vet for worms?
Or ever treated for worms before?

I feed complete chicken crumble for layers. Scratch as a treat. Free range my yard (1/4 acre) often. I treated one other hen for worms when she was having troubles with sour crop and not laying (ivermectin 4-drops back of neck). I just treated this sick hen the same way even though she is laying. I have only seen one round worm in the sour-crop-hen and why I treated her (which is another whole 'how to do' nightmare).

I just cleaned her cage, so I'll try with the poop picks soon.

.... at 4 years old she is well beyond the normal age of a Marek's outbreak (usually it affects birds under 25 weeks). Normally with Marek's they appear uncoordinated (drunk almost) and frustrated that they cannot move their limbs properly. There is a noticeable difference between that and a normal lameness where one leg/foot is consciously favoured because the other is painful. Having seen both types of lameness it is quite easy to tell the difference, but if you haven't seen both it may not be as obvious..... The age of your hen makes it a lot less likely to be Marek's, but bringing birds into your flock from sources like breeders or auctions/swaps does dramatically increase the risk of your flock contracting it, even with a 30 day quarantine procedure in place, as carriers of the disease can often appear perfectly healthy.

As with most serious chicken diseases, hens or roosters NEVER recover from Mareks Disease. The absolute best that can be expected is that one will become a carrier of Mareks Disease for life.

Has your 4 year old hen been laying eggs recently? Sometimes if they are internal layers or have egg yolk peritonitis, they may have pain walking and prefersitting or lying down. But leg injuries can be very common in chickens. Hopefully, it is just a sprain, although fractures can sometimes be the case. I would keep her crated for a few days with food and water to force rest, continue the vitamins, and evaluate how she is doing. You might want to Google Mareks disease and read "The Great Big Mareks Faq" written by another BYCer who did a lot of research. It contains a great deal of info. Mareks has to be diagnosed by examining the feather shafts or tumors found on a necropsy. That would be what I would consider doing if she should die.

Has your 4 year old hen been laying eggs recently? Sometimes if they are internal layers or have egg yolk peritonitis, they may have pain walking and prefersitting or lying down. But leg injuries can be very common in chickens. Hopefully, it is just a sprain, although fractures can sometimes be the case. I would keep her crated for a few days with food and water to force rest, continue the vitamins, and evaluate how she is doing. You might want to Google Mareks disease and read "The Great Big Mareks Faq" written by another BYCer who did a lot of research. It contains a great deal of info. Mareks has to be diagnosed by examining the feather shafts or tumors found on a necropsy. That would be what I would consider doing if she should die.

Mareks can involve any and all tissues in a chickens' body so a post death examination is critical to diagnosing Mareks disease.

Back
Top Bottom