Marek's in a year and a half old Hen?????? or something else

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Orpington Crazy, Sep 2, 2014.

1. Orpington Crazy

Orpington Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Kelowna BC Canada
    Could a year and a half old non vaccinated hen get mareks?? Or could she have something else? I apologize in advance for the over dose of information.

[​IMG][​IMG]

She was fine yesterday but this morning she was stumbling around and limping according to my mother when I got home about six hours later, she is still stumbling somewhat and when she goes to preen she almost falls over. Yesterday I cleaned out the coop fully scrubbed the walls with bleach and sprinkled DE and Sevin on the roosts, floor and basically on any surface that didn't run away, I am using straw as bedding this time around. Until yesterday I had not noticed that the chickens had access to straw that was covered in mold. They have use of an old horse paddock of ours that has some random bushes one of which is Snowberries that are toxic if ingested, I have never seen the birds eating the berries but I have seen them eating the leaves. Now she had not been drinking I think, as one of the birds pooped in the water some time last night or this morning. When I changed the water she came over and drank a lot. Could it be anything other than mareks and if so any ideas?
    Thank you everyone

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    In short: Yes, it is possible. But you are on the right track in trying to find other things that might fit the bill. It seems from the conditions of their backs, a few of your hens have had the attention of an overly zealous rooster? Is there any chance he injured her, or has he not been in with them recently? Either way, the ones that aren't limping might benefit from some hen 'saddles'. :)

Anyhow, here are other Marek's look alikes. Pay close attention to injury, aspergillosis (since you had some moldy straw), and vitamin deficiency. Have you had any chickens with any symptoms in the last 6 months? Any illnesses, losses, or new birds added?

The full link to the Marek's FAQ is in my signature if you want to read more.

3. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Also, I can't tell.. is her bottom messy? How are her droppings?

4. Orpington Crazy

Orpington Crazy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 19, 2014
    Kelowna BC Canada
    thank you so much for all of the info. Her bum is clean but her droppings are normal looking but there is a small amount of clear liquid with each dropping. The rooster has been away from the girls for about three weeks now and she has no injury that I can find, they are going through a molt right now also. I am off to try a few things to see if they help. Thank you again

5. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    I'm sorry it was not more help ... with leg problems / limping / ataxia it can be a rather startlingly large number of problems, and it is rarely clear which it is. Even in cases that look very clearly like Marek's, sometimes it is not (as myself and a few others have discovered first hand). You may want to physically check her over as best you can and isolate her to watch and see how well she eats and drinks, and if she has any other symptoms that were not obvious at first. Can you get her to a vet (it's okay if not, but it might help you get answers)?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by