1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks... its airborne most chickens can carry it

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by bluestar.ranch, Oct 29, 2011.

1. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    Mareks... its airborne most chickens can carry it.. IF there are chickens lost to the mareks.. should the whole flock be put down? I have heard that most chickens (up to 50%) can be carriers.. Does anyone think a whole flock will die.. or do some chickens develope immunity.. this is what I am researching... any comments??? thanks

2. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    good question
    [​IMG] ????????

3. Erica

Erica Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 5, 2010
    My understanding (for what it's worth) is that Marek's resistance is highly inheritable. That is, if you breed from a bird that doesn't show symptoms then you help breed Marek's resistance in the offspring. There's almost no chance of removing the virus from the surroundings as it survives for ages in dander and dust.

I also gather some birds can be 'carriers', but as the virus (once it's in an environment) remains infective in dust and dander for months or years, the question of carrier birds isn't really relevant. It's simply assumed the virus will always be there once it has arrived. [​IMG] For this reason culling isn't likely to help, because the virus will still be in the environment. Excuse me if I'm wrong; this is just from general reading.

I would say you have the choice to either segregate eggs from the parent flock in a totally clean room (changing clothes, showering etc before entering the room) and then vaccinate the chicks as soon as they hatch (i.e. before they have any contact with the virus); or buy only vaccinated birds; or breed from any survivors that remain symptom free, and thereby produce your own Marek's-hardy strain.

Not an expert, hope this helps,
    Erica

4. bluestar.ranch

bluestar.ranch Out Of The Brooder

Sep 20, 2011
    Belville Tx
    Thats what I have heard... that there are resistant birds to Mareks... but the problem is still there in the dander and dust...I read.. (cant find the post) that up to 50% of chickens/birds in meat markets carry the cancer/tumors.. [​IMG] we have been eating for years... Mareks is more common than we think? So what to do? immunize all chicks? let nature take its course and "chalk up losses" on big flocks... I just want to know what does everyone else think should be done if Mareks is really everywhere. [​IMG]

When a chick IS immunized and is introduced to the flocks.. is it immune? will it get mareks anyway and not show symptoms? (this is what I read) [​IMG]

Also, I see that all chicks under 5 months old should be seperate in "clean rooms" from the older chickens.. does anyone except hatcheries REALLY do this? looking forward to whats happening in most backyard flocks.. so put in your "two cents" [​IMG]

5. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
    Marek's is everywhere. It is shed from feather dander-you cannot eliminate it-unless you cull everyone-dissinfect all coops and all equipment-and leave empty for a while-even then...your not 100% in the clear-wild birds carry it and unless you have NO wild birds around it is always a threat. Marek's is not passed through the eggs. You can have marek carriers in your flocks-and if you do they will shed and the younger or immunocompromised birds will then get it and perish or be carriers themselves. The easiest way to prevent is vaccinate ALL birds. You start with all new hatchlings...do not let them near your other birds for 2 weeks since their shedding the live virus-be neurotic about NOT touching or going near any other bird after touching the chicks unless you completely shower and change clothes from head to toe. In time you just learn to vaccinate all chicks..eventually you will have a flock of all vaccinated birds-unfortunately though, this does NOT guarantee your flocks safety against it-its just a preventative. If you have a bird that is showing Marek symptoms-cull it before it gets a chance to continue shedding the virus..

Ok... the immunized chicks will have a resistance to the virus in certain ways-meaning they will not show signs of the disease-it prevents them from showing signs-"grey eye" , paralysis related to tumors near or around the nerves etc....there are 5 kinds of Marek's signs or afflictions..

Last edited: Oct 30, 2011
  6. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY
  7. GoldenSparrow

GoldenSparrow Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
  8. sonew123

sonew123 Poultry Snuggie

Mar 16, 2009
    onchiota NY