Mareks? Maran unable to walk/pale comb/labored breathing

BidDaddy

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2018
Honey Brook, PA
We have a Black Cuckoo Maran that is about twenty weeks old. Recently, she began walking as if she were uncertain of his next step, kind of like a drunk. She also has labored breathing with her mouth open and heavy breaths.
I thought maybe she was egg bound but she wasn’t. Her poop is solid but greenish. She will eat and drink nicely when I put her in front of the food and water but, otherwise, she just sits in one spot and doesn’t move. Her legs can’t support her it seems but are not paralyzed. Vent is clean. Her eyes don’t look any different such as the grey color with Mareks.
Could it be worms? Newcastle?

We had her flock mate go through a similar but not exact set of symptoms a few weeks ago and she died. I have Pedialyte in her water and also Corid.

I’m thinking about taking her to the emergency vet as I am concerned that something is working it’s way through the rest of the flock. I’m fairly certain she is dying.
Any ideas on what it could be and what I should do? Thanks

We have a Black Cuckoo Maran that is about twenty weeks old. Recently, she began walking as if she were uncertain of his next step, kind of like a drunk. She also has labored breathing with her mouth open and heavy breaths.
I thought maybe she was egg bound but she wasn’t. Her poop is solid but greenish. She will eat and drink nicely when I put her in front of the food and water but, otherwise, she just sits in one spot and doesn’t move. Her legs can’t support her it seems but are not paralyzed. Vent is clean. Her eyes don’t look any different such as the grey color with Mareks.
Could it be worms? Newcastle?

We had her flock mate go through a similar but not exact set of symptoms a few weeks ago and she died. I have Pedialyte in her water and also Corid.

I’m thinking about taking her to the emergency vet as I am concerned that something is working it’s way through the rest of the flock. I’m fairly certain she is dying.
Any ideas on what it could be and what I should do? Thanks

Definitely go see that vet! Poor gal it def sounds serious

Sorry to read this. It does sound similar to my Maran who succumbed to Marek's. Egg laying stopped for about a week prior, lethargy and loss of appetite came on about 48 hours prior to passing. Loss of weight too. I hope she is ok! I would suggest trying some of the soaking remedies for egg binding and just make her comfortable as the labored breathing is normally due to organ failure and not obstruction.
If the unfortunate does happen, I was able to get a free necropsy through my state to confirm diagnosis of Marek's so I could know for sure.

Sorry to read this. It does sound similar to my Maran who succumbed to Marek's. Egg laying stopped for about a week prior, lethargy and loss of appetite came on about 48 hours prior to passing. Loss of weight too. I hope she is ok! I would suggest trying some of the soaking remedies for egg binding and just make her comfortable as the labored breathing is normally due to organ failure and not obstruction.
If the unfortunate does happen, I was able to get a free necropsy through my state to confirm diagnosis of Marek's so I could know for sure.

How old was your Maran? This one is 18-20 weeks old. We went through a pretty bad heat wave a bout two weeks ago and I noticed she was taking it harder than the others. I did notice she was walking oddly then but was preoccupied with the other one dying. That bird was a Whiting True Blue and I think he had longer term issues.

In any event, we have been giving her Pedialyte and NutriDrench to hopefully get some strength up. She does still have an appetite for her feed and also blueberries. Her legs doesn’t really seem to be getting stronger.

Not only could she be facing illness but she could also be going through shock from the flockmates death. Definitely should see a vet. :fl

The issue with the vet is that I’d be more likely to do that if I thought she had something that was going to run through the flock. I don’t want to spend $500 for a bird that isn’t going to live anyway.
Hopefully, she has some more pep in the morning.

I tried the bath yesterday but I don’t think she is egg bound. I’m fairly certain that she laid her first egg last week, which has been her only and would seem to be a bit early.

Attachments

• 5D70A08F-A380-4615-BA20-FF746BAA7A27.jpeg
    5D70A08F-A380-4615-BA20-FF746BAA7A27.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 8
How old was your Maran? This one is 18-20 weeks old. We went through a pretty bad heat wave a bout two weeks ago and I noticed she was taking it harder than the others. I did notice she was walking oddly then but was preoccupied with the other one dying. That bird was a Whiting True Blue and I think he had longer term issues.

In any event, we have been giving her Pedialyte and NutriDrench to hopefully get some strength up. She does still have an appetite for her feed and also blueberries. Her legs doesn’t really seem to be getting stronger.

She was 6 months. It's a tough one to pinpoint because Marek's mimics so many other diseases. Since there isn't a treatment for it, make sense to do what you can to treat any lethargy and dehydration. I hope she pulls through!

The issue with the vet is that I’d be more likely to do that if I thought she had something that was going to run through the flock. I don’t want to spend $500 for a bird that isn’t going to live anyway.
Hopefully, she has some more pep in the morning.

I tried the bath yesterday but I don’t think she is egg bound. I’m fairly certain that she laid her first egg last week, which has been her only and would seem to be a bit early.
Wow I didn't realize it was $500. Hopefully she will be ok :fl

Back
Top Bottom