Mareks new babies and big girls

Jakico

Songster
Nov 28, 2019
My dear sweet sweet pea has passed this last week. It was a terrible experience I was quarantined due to a suspected cold and was not allowed to leave the house as my doctors would not rule out Covid 19. So I was unable to get her to a vet. She was beautiful buff Brahma approaching 8 months. She appeared to be huge, but when I picked her up one day she weighed nothing. It’s still cold here in Portland and I feared her body weight was not enough her to keep her alive during the night I brought her inside. I am a nurse so I treated her with antibiotics, love and palliative measures. I hoped for the best. I noticed my coop had yellow diarrhea under her roosting spot. I treated for sour croup and cleaned the coop. She seemed to get better she longed to go outside and I kept her by the window and she jumped from her chicken hospital bed upon seeing her sisters. So took her outside because she seemed better. She played, she tried to eat and her sister gave her a dust bath while she was too week to give herself one. And than she came back to the door. And a few hours later she died. She looked like she was having a seizure and contorted, I asked for her to fight and live but after minutes of seeing her like this I begged for her to let go and she did. It was horrible. But now I watch my flock and wonder who is next. They were all vaccinate I was told. Everything I have read is inconclusive. Is my remaining flock next? How long do I worry? What about the month old chicks in the barn? Can they come outside to forage. Is my flock now doomed? I posted pictures of my sweet pea, she was an odd bird, she never laid an egg maybe a sign of the disease and her crop was a little weird. I also would have loved her forever regardless. But will they all suffer now and do I have to be paranoid forever?

Attachments

• 4518BB28-B353-4D61-A48D-CE97F912184B.jpeg
    4518BB28-B353-4D61-A48D-CE97F912184B.jpeg
    560.9 KB · Views: 2
  • 5DB92084-54E3-4B45-A2FE-D424AE46C2E1.jpeg
    5DB92084-54E3-4B45-A2FE-D424AE46C2E1.jpeg
    610.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 4F24ABE3-F5C3-429A-888D-1F3357212D14.jpeg
    4F24ABE3-F5C3-429A-888D-1F3357212D14.jpeg
    492.3 KB · Views: 1
Everything I have read is inconclusive. Is my remaining flock next? How long do I worry?
Sorry for your loss. :(
Is the "Mareks" in the thread title a known entity or speculation?
As a nurse you probably know, without necropsy and pathology you won't know what killed her...so can't know if it's contagious or not.

Sorry for your loss. :(
Is the "Mareks" in the thread title a known entity or speculation?
As a nurse you probably know, without necropsy and pathology you won't know what killed her...so can't know if it's contagious or not.
I can’t be sure, since I’m still in quarantine so we buried her since I’m won’t be able to get her body out for the necropsy. It seemed to fit Mareks, but it is all still speculation. I’m acting like whatever it was contagious to the remaining flock and keep a close eye for changes in behavior or health. I’ve read if it was Mareks than it can live in the soil for years and vaccination helps but they can still contract and shred the virus without symptoms or that they could all parish. I’ve also read that vaccinations can be missed and perhaps poor sweet pea was in this case and the others would be fine as long as they were properly vaccinated. I have no experience with this and looking for something more definitive if anyone has a history they are willing to share

Back
Top Bottom