Marek's/ Newcastle/ botulism/ ear infection ? I am lost

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lufalcoa, Aug 24, 2014.

1. Lufalcoa

Lufalcoa Out Of The Brooder

Mar 10, 2014
    Hello, it's me again, with the same sick hen.:/ I study and study and I can't get an answer.

Last time, at the PET shop, it was said she got Typhus, but it's been passed almost 30 days since she showed the symptoms and she is still alive -- worst, but alive.

The symptoms are, mainly, she can't walk or get stand. She loses her balance and falls.
    The egg laying decreased, but she still lays an egg sometimes.
    She eat well

Besides this, the only "strange" things that happened before the symptoms appear was some blood on the eggshell and her comb that bended.

Well I am very sad cause I think she is suffering. I like her very much and I just need to know if there are any cure to her disease (that I don't know what it is), so I could cure her or put her to sleep and fininsh this suffering.

Here is a video of her

[​IMG]

Thanks a lot!

1 person likes this.
  2. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    I just looked at the heart rending video..I have no idea as to why she is acting this way...have you tried giving her extra vitamins? Vitamin B can be beneficial to chickens with leg problems...I suspect that she may have some neurological problems...her co-ordination is erratic...

If she were mine I would not give up yet...if she eats, drinks and shows an interest in her surroundings then she wants to live...

1 person likes this.
  3. Lufalcoa

Mar 10, 2014
    Hi Suzie,

I gave her vitamins at the beginning of all this, and then I stopped, because it didn't seems to work. But now I will keep giving her vitamins, . I have pills of B-12 vitamin, that I myself take everyday. May I give it to her solved in water?

Well, I feel the same! I don't want to give up her, she seems fighting for her life so strongly!
    [​IMG]

4. Suzie

Suzie Overrun With Chickens

Jul 9, 2009
    Auvergne
    Yes by all means do give her some Vitamin B12...a great boost to any ailing health issues..maybe pour some mixed with water into her feed...

I did not see any original post regarding your sick chicken...anything is worth a try...never give up hope unless the chicken gives up the will to live...I do so hope she rallies around and gets back to normal health..special needs chickens are so very endearing and worth all of the hard work and sometimes heartache...

Good luck!

Last edited: Aug 24, 2014
  5. Lufalcoa

Mar 10, 2014
    hello,

Unfortunately, Bowie is gone. [​IMG] It happened a week ago, but only now I could write.

Well, she fell into a deep hole under the ground, she was very ill and could not stand or fly, and I could not rescue her either.

A day before the incident, I confirmed with a experient breeder of my city, that was indeed neurological problems. I don't know if it was genetic or caused by some disease.

Sleep well Bowie, you were a nice and brave one.

6. Lilyput

Lilyput Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I am having a similar problem with a young Brahma who is just about ready to lay. She is eating, drinking, and walking better than this chicken in the film Bowie?. However she seems to hold her head to one side a little funny. It's like she had a stroke. She falls over sometimes when she first gets up and when she gets ready for sleep. She walks around and eats and drinks all day, but at night cannot make it up into the coop. I have been placing her in a seperate cage at night. She had a slight ear infection, but recovered after treatment. No other symptoms. Other chickens seem healthy and vibrant. I put all of them on Duramycin in the water for a week, as a precaution. (They are on day four). The Brahma has been going on like this for about 2 weeks now. I thought I lost her a week ago when she was really falling all over the place and not eating or drinking. I fed and watered her by hand, but she now seems better. Just have the feeling that something is probably wrong with her inner ear. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

7. Lilyput

Lilyput Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2014
    Raleigh, NC
    I am having a similar problem with a young Brahma who is just about ready to lay. She is eating, drinking, and walking better than this chicken in the film Bowie?. However she seems to hold her head to one side a little funny. It's like she had a stroke. She falls over sometimes when she first gets up and when she gets ready for sleep. She walks around and eats and drinks all day, but at night cannot make it up into the coop. I have been placing her in a seperate cage at night. She had a slight ear infection, but recovered after treatment. No other symptoms. Other chickens seem healthy and vibrant. I put all of them on Duramycin in the water for a week, as a precaution. (They are on day four). The Brahma has been going on like this for about 2 weeks now. I thought I lost her a week ago when she was really falling all over the place and not eating or drinking. I fed and watered her by hand, but she now seems better. Just have the feeling that something is probably wrong with her inner ear. ANY SUGGESTIONS?

8. Eggcessive

Eggcessive True BYC Addict

Apr 3, 2011
    southern Ohio
    Your chicken may be showing symptoms of wry neck or crook neck, which is a neurological condition that can be due to inflammation of the brain due to an injury, certain diseases, and sometimes from a vitamin deficiency. I would give poultry vitamins in her water, or Vitamin B1( thiamine,) vitamin E, and selenium. Here are some links to read about this illness:
    http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/Crookneck/Crookneck.html
    http://oureggbasket.blogspot.com/2013/04/wry-neck-or-crook-neck-understanding-it.html
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/97121/lets-talk-wry-neck-crook-neck

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by