Marek's or Avain Leukosis- coop/run sanitation

I'm so sorry for your losses. ❤️ If you can, it may be worth having the vet send a sample out to confirm Marek's vs. ALV. ALV doesn't live as long in the environment. Unfortunately, I have both in my flock, despite original girls being vaccinated. I've read somewhere that Marek's vaccinations in ALV carriers can actually worsen outcome if exposed to Marek's (and it's everywhere). Likely about to lose my 3rd of 5 original girls in just a few months. I really hope you don't have both.

I think additional testing is worth it if you are interested to know about resting the land. But perhaps shouldn't matter in most cases if you vaccinate new chicks to Marek's. I'm not a Marek's expert, but we currently have a closed flock and don't know if I will be adding more. It's been devastating.
I'm so sorry about your girls! My guess is you're like me and watch for signs all day, every day. I do that just to make sure none of my girls suffer, but I'm not euthanizing the flock for "maybe"

Don't feel terrible. I knew they existed, but still didn't take all the nessasry precautions to avoid them. I thought about it like, "noooo, that couldn't' happen to me". I was wrong.
We all make mistakes, you will only learn and grow from this. I'm so worry for your loss, don't feel to bad, its hard but it gets better. Time heals all wounds. :hugs
All of my girls were supposedly vaccinated...I wouldn't have been able to know at 2 days old regardless.

These is a private lab called RAL that has PCR testing for Maeks and ACL and a related virus. If you can't draw blood you can collect by clipping a toenail short. You have to know what you're dealing with as management is different. There is a mareks vaccine available to hobbyist though it is not as effective as what is available to the chicken producers, who vaccinate while still in the egg. Vaccinating older birds is not as effective but is safe (it will not give unvaccinated birds the virus.) and it is the only tool, we have AVL(avian Leukosis) has no vaccine. these are long onset diseases which gets breeders off the hook for liability and NIPI Certification does NOT monitor these diseases. Onset can be from 6-40 weeks typical but can be longer. go to facebook Mareks' disease and Avian leukosis education and support .

Back
Top Bottom