Marek's or Frizzle?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Soot the silkie, Mar 23, 2015.

1. frizzle

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. mareks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Soot the silkie

Soot the silkie Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    I've heard frizzles are a bit wacky because of there changed gene, but I am wondering what exactly this "wackiness" is. My frizzle chick seems to have less of a want for treats, and when she pecks something she always aims to the right and misses. but she seems very alert, playful and happy with no signs of paralysis or blindness. I know that my chickens are carriers of marek's, but i got my new chicks vaccinated and quarantined them for three weeks. Should i be worried?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2015
  2. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    i would like a reply about this.

3. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    It's hard to say. She could have vision problems short of total blindness, so poor locating ability. Maybe totally unrelated to your Marek's issues. If she's otherwise doing fine, don't worry about it. Mary

4. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    My frizzles behave just like the rest of my birds. The only difference they exhibit is their feathers. That being said, I agree with Folly's place, she may be blind in one eye, or mostly blind. If she's acting healthy otherwise, and is finding food, I wouldn't worry about it too much. If she starts showing other signs that point towards Mareks, then you should be concerned.
    Good luck.

5. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Okay, thanks! she doesn't really seem blind though. I've heard that frizzles can be a bit wacky though.

6. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    They can be wacky, but underneath those silly feathers, they're still chickens (and chickens love food, mine jump right in with the rest and they don't miss what they're grabbing for).
    I had a Cochin once that acted the same way you're describing, she's on the special needs chickens thread somewhere. She would typically look at things with one eye, and peck the same direction (and typically miss what she was aiming for). That's what made me think blindness, maybe from another chick giving her a good peck there or some other kind of injury. My hens eyes both looked fine, exactly the same. However, if you waved your hand on the side she didn't favor, or approached her from that side, she wouldn't even react (unless she turned her head and caught you with the good eye). She was a great hen, a good layer, mama and a WONDERFUL pet. She learned to come when we called her name for treats- we'd feed them to her separately so she could actually get some.

Anyway, if any of that sounds like your chicken, I'd assume that's probably what's going on with her unless she starts exhibiting other symptoms.

7. Soot the silkie

Sep 19, 2014
    Humboldt, California
    Okay. I don't think she's blind though. When i hold her and move my hand close to one eye then the other, both eye's pupil's contract to focus on my hand. She might just have bad motor skills.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by