1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks or injury??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by JadeLamson, Feb 22, 2012.

1. JadeLamson

JadeLamson New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Mareks or just a leg injury??

About 1 week ago i noticed my blue bantam sitting a lot. My chickens have recently had a respiratory infection and receiving antibiotic treatment so I though perhaps she was feeling a little under the weather. Today I spent a lot more time observing her and she seems to have a bit of a limp and reluctant to place weight on her left foot. Still getting around ok but rests a lot. She can run and flap her wings and get up onto a perch etc. I cant specifically recall her jumping from a large height to cause injury. I have had a good look at the leg which appears normal. She did pull it away from me a little when testing pushing her foot towards her and pulling away. I have noticed that the foot is not curling as much as the other when on a perch or when I have been trying to check her legs. Could she just be reluctant due to pain of an injury or is it early paralysis due to Mareks? Is there any kind of test to confirm or preferably rule out Mareks??

2. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    If the roosts are high and there isn't enough padding on the ground it can result to a leg injury; especially in heavy breeds (Like Jersey Giants, Delawares, Brahmas) Try to pick her up and examine the leg to see if there's any swollen area on the legs and toes.

I've dealt with marek's also, the do rest a lot, and the drag a leg behind, but if the paralysis spreads up their legs it can spread to the other one so they can't move as much. There really is no cure to marek's unless you vaccinate them when their chicks. If the chicken is over a year or 2 usually the won't get marek's or are immune.

3. JadeLamson

JadeLamson New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    thanks Jersey. Can't see anything specific on her leg but she is heavily feathered so difficult to tell. The person I bought her from says she was vaccinated but I have heard that doesn't necessarily prevent them getting it. Also she is not dragging the leg but rather tentative to put weight on it and sometimes standing holding the leg up so not really looking like paralysis at this stage although the fact that foot isn't curling properly does worry me. Have read that early mareks can present like she is and I'm terrified if it is. I had to have one of my pet ausralorps put to sleep when I was a child due to mareks - such a horrible disease.

4. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I think the only thing you can do right now is treat it as an injury unless you see more signs of Marek's. If a limp progresses to paralysis in both legs, wing walking, wasting away, then I would say Marek's. But right now, she's just limping, and may have hurt herself. I had a hen once who limped badly for over a month. I don't know how she got hurt, but it took a while for her to get better.

5. JadeLamson

JadeLamson New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    Thank you, that's what I keep trying to tell myself but it's hard not knowing and I keep thinking the worst :( she seems to be holding her leg up more today so I'm not sure if that's a good or bad sign but she is still getting ip and sitting on her perch. How should I be treating for injury? I have her confined today with lots of soft straw and covered the cage so it's dark and she will sleep rather than stress from being away from the others. Anything else I should do??

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I don't know. I've had a few limpers and I rested them for a day or two, or they just got better. Sometimes you don't know what or where to treat. I've had one broken leg chicken from a neighbor. Her leg was dangling and useless, she couldn't move it. From feeling it, I could tell that the break was right below the knee, so it was just rest for 4 weeks, in a sling.

7. JadeLamson

JadeLamson New Egg

Feb 22, 2012
    RELIEF - it's just an injury!!!

I took her to the vet today as it seems worse and he is pretty confidant it's not Mareks, yeehaaa big happy dance here!!! He feels it is an injury or bite and only bruising, doesn't think the bone is broken or damaged. So sweet little Audrey is now on metacam and more antibiotics and taking them ever so well for me. Thanks all for your posts and advice, very much appreciated.

One very relieved chicken owner signing off for now :)

8. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    I'm very glad to hear that, Jade. It's good to be aware of Marek's, but no one should jump to conclusions unless their flock history sortof points that way. [​IMG]

9. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Yay! That's great! [​IMG]

10. momsfarm

momsfarm Out Of The Brooder

May 7, 2011
    Along the same lines as previous posts, last week I had a pullet who would curl her toes and then move her leg back to spread them out. she then started using her wings to balance. then she started flopping over. she would eat and drink and no discharge. was vaccinated when i got her at one week. had to cull her because she went down hill fast. the next day I went out to get her and her sister was all puffy and sleepy but standing. both were brahmas. by the time i went back out after being online for a diagnosis she was gone. now i have a barred rock who is gasping for air and screaming afterward. has been about 3 days and she is very thin. another barred has a leg injury i think and is hopping around to eat and drink. have no idea what is going on. HELP.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by