Mareks or not?

Henny3

In the Brooder
Dec 8, 2019
Victoria, Australia
Hi Guys,

Bit of a story but we moved house in January, I brought 2 older hens and 3 four month old with me, bought 13 more pullets and there was already one hen there. After about 2 weeks one of the 4 month old (Australorp) got what the vet thought was Mareks. She was wobbling around and eventually lost complete control of her legs and died. I was expecting to lose most of the flock after reading up on it but nothing happend. Now we're 3/4 months further and I have a Brahma that has started to wobble, mainly sit down and yesterday I saw the one leg sticking out straight to the back, she recovered from that after 5 min and is still wobbling around, eating and drinking as normal.
I can't find any injuries, she's not pushing back or grabbing my finger when I push against her legs. I've added vitamins to the water. But I think she's slowly getting worse. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can Mareks go this slow and kill a bird every now and then? Maybe with the change of weather her immune system was weak? Anything I can do?

Thanks!

Hi Guys,

Bit of a story but we moved house in January, I brought 2 older hens and 3 four month old with me, bought 13 more pullets and there was already one hen there. After about 2 weeks one of the 4 month old (Australorp) got what the vet thought was Mareks. She was wobbling around and eventually lost complete control of her legs and died. I was expecting to lose most of the flock after reading up on it but nothing happend. Now we're 3/4 months further and I have a Brahma that has started to wobble, mainly sit down and yesterday I saw the one leg sticking out straight to the back, she recovered from that after 5 min and is still wobbling around, eating and drinking as normal.
I can't find any injuries, she's not pushing back or grabbing my finger when I push against her legs. I've added vitamins to the water. But I think she's slowly getting worse. Does anyone have any experience with this? Can Mareks go this slow and kill a bird every now and then? Maybe with the change of weather her immune system was weak? Anything I can do?

Thanks!
Unfortunately yes...it is highly likely that you are seeing Marek's again.

What exactly do you feed this bird?

Thanks for the responses!
She has the options of eating a complete free range mix or grower pellets with medication. She occasionally gets scrambled eggs and mealworms and at the moment has either a multi vitamin or electrolytes in her water. Is there anything else I should give her?

Back
Top Bottom