Mareks or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MrsMom, Feb 27, 2012.

1. MrsMom

MrsMom New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    I am usually a lurker, but now have a problem and can't seem to find the answer anywhere.

Last week we had a hen with an apparent leg injury. She wasn't wanting to walk on it, but there was no heat, no swelling, and no obvious cuts, sores, or anything of the sort. I isolated her from the flock and provided food and water. She ate and drank well and was seeming to improve, being able to stand and hobble about a bit, until I went in one morning (after about a week) and found her dead.

Two days ago I found another hen with a bit of a limp. I looked her over and again found no sign of injury. I isolated her and she seems to have a good appetite just like the other hen. Yesterday, however, the limp was more pronounced and the toes are beginning to curl so that she is walking on her "knuckles."

Both of these hens are Dominiques, both roughly 42 weeks old. Our flock is made up of a few other Dominiques and other assorted breeds and hybrids. They are free-range during the day and in a secure coop and adjoining pen at night. There are/were no symptoms of being egg-bound, no runny noses or goopy eyes, and both seem(ed) in good spirits (not lethargic) and eating/drinking well, still laying eggs and "talking" to me whenever I was around.

Am I seeing Mareks disease, or is there something else going on? I did get them from a feed store, so I doubt they were vaccinated. If anyone can help, I would appreciate it. I would love to be able to save this second hen and prevent whatever-it-is from happening again.

TIA,
    Carrie, central Illinois

2. MrsMom

MrsMom New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Well, the latest hen has died. I hope no others show up with the same symptoms, because I'm stumped. If they do, we'll likely just send them to freezer camp.

Thanks anyway.

3. MrsMom

MrsMom New Egg

Oct 20, 2011
    Third chicken with a limp today, this one a roo.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012
  4. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    Sorry that I didn't see/comment on your thread. I must have missed it. There are several good threads on Marek's that you may find helpful. The first thing that I would recommend is to find a state agency that will necropsy your bird. Put it into the fridge and it will last a few days until you can find someone to do this for you. Most of the time, the state places will do the necropsy for free or for a small fee. That way, you will know if it is indeed Marek's or something else.

Some other things will also result in limping/paralysis....vitamin deficiencies is one and if I'm not mistaken eating moldy feed will also.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by