Mareks or vitamin deficiency?

hd_darcy

Songster
11 Years
Apr 28, 2010
Wisconsin
I have a bantam barred rock who seemed to have went from normal to curled toes. I separated him and started giving him some polyvisol right away. This was about a week ago, maybe a bit more. Anyway, I'm thrilled to report, he's making huge progress. He's actually walking a bit now. He's not completely healed, but surely going the right direction. I'm so happy. I'm assuming this means that it was a vitamin deficiency? If he had Mareks, the polyvisol wouldn't be helping him, correct? He went from totally curled toes, to resting on his back legs to now he's standing, but doesn't quite have full control of the leg. He kind of bats with it sometimes. I'm hoping that he'll continue to improve, and sooo hoping this means that my fear of Mareks was uncalled for???

I should also note, that this is not the first chicken that this has happened to. I lost another one last fall. I separated her, but probably didn't give her enough vitamins? She never got better, and I eventually lost her. With my roo, I have him just in a rubbermaid container. The hen was in a larger pen. I also lost a few this winter, but I am thinking that was more due to the hard winter than anything else.

Thank you for any and all info that may help!

It's great to hear that he has improved with the vitamins. Riboflavin deficiency can cause curled toe paralysis which can look like Mareks disease. When vitamins are started early enough it can help. If he had Mareks I don't believe you would have seen any improvement.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom