Marek's prevention in broody raised chicks

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kittyacid, Jul 4, 2010.

1. kittyacid

kittyacid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2009
    Clayton, NC
    It is my understanding that the vaccine is not effective since the chicks cannot be quarantined from the mother. If this is the case, are there any preventative measures that can be taken to reduce the chances of the youngsters contracting this dreaded disease?

2. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never seen any info to that effect. Here's what Cornell Vet College says:

"Commercial chicken flocks are vaccinated in-ovo during the incubation period (during transfer at 18-19 days of incubation) or at one day of age by subcutaneous injection. Revaccination is not necessary and immunity is lifelong. It is very important to perform the vaccine administration properly, making sure that each bird gets a minimal infectious and protective dose. The most commonly used vaccine is HVT (herpesvirus of turkeys) serotype 3."

For the backyard chicken person, the vaccine should be injected in each chick on Day One. If you have not vaccinated those chicks, yet, do it ASAP.

ETA: Cornell says the vaccine is injected in day old chicks as a wing stick.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2010
  3. schellie69

schellie69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2009
    Kansas
    What if you are not sure if your chickens where vaccinated can you give your adult hens the vaccination to them now or would that cause problems.

4. MotherJean

MotherJean Chillin' With My Peeps

There's been some very encouraging studies done where they've vaccinated adult chickens who've been exposed to Mareks. While it may not be effective in preventing the disease, tests are showing that it does seem to prevent the tumorous cells (T-cells). These are the culprits responsible for the tumorous growths that interfere with vital organs. I believe they are also responsible for the brain lesions in the neurological form of Mareks. The early conclusion is that the vaccine mediates the damage of the disease and results in a lower mortality rate. I believe Dr. Peter Brown of First State Vet Supply has written on the subject. You may be able to find some additional info on his website.

Also, there was a recent poster here that had Mareks diagnosed through a postmortem exam at her local university. When she expressed her concern for the rest of her flock, it was suggested that she vaccinate all with the serotype-3 vaccine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by