Marek's Question....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Acre of Blessings, Jun 1, 2008.

1. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Does anyone here treat for Marek's in their newly hatched chicks? If so, how? and where do you get the vaccination for it?

2. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    I've never vaccinated a chick, but I've seen them inject a Marek's vaccine into the eggs at a hatchery.

Hopefully someone else knows because I don't. [​IMG]

3. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    You can buy Marek's vaccine at Jeffers Livestock (online) and firststatevetsupply.com There are other places too.

However, unless you have had Mareks disease in your area, I wouldn't bother with it. I have had it on my place (some breeds are more affected by it) in my Dutch so now I vaccinate all my Dutch for it. I usually do all the birds, but I have neglected that this year to be honest.
    The vaccinating is easy to do, easier with two people though.

4. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Thanks. Does anyone else do this. What breeds are more susseptable to Mareks?

5. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    My Dutch bantams are very suseptible to Mareks, not sure about the other breeds. I have never had a large fowl come down with it.

6. mipsy6

mipsy6 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2008
    Los Angeles, CA
    Can you vaccinate older chickens for Mareks disease, or just day-old chicks? By that I mean:
    1) is it safe?
    2) does it work?

7. mthrclckr

mthrclckr Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2007
    S.F. Bay Area, CA
    I vaccinate incubator-hatched chicks. I do NOT vaccinate broody-hen-hatched chicks.

Injecting the chick is not the stressful part. Preparing the vaccine is, if you're going to split the tablet/diluent. Just keep in mind that the diluent bottle is under negative pressure. If you are a chemist or have a friend who is one, see if they can get you a new, clean cannula (it's like a LOOOONG, pliable syringe needle). I sure wish *I* could get a hold of one. It would make it so much easier to get the diluent out.

I also made things easier on myself and the chicks by getting a box of insulin syringes (I think 0.3CC capacity) with 30-gauge needles. 29-gauge should be good, too, but 31-gauge might be too thin and would bend too easily. Also, do make sure to get a 60CC syringe because you'll have to draw out 50CC of diluent if you're splitting the vaccine into fourths. I get the vaccine and the 60CC syringes from Jeffers Livestock Supply. If you actually get a cannula, you can use the syringe to push 50CC of air *into* the diluent bottle.

The following is a wonderful site:
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/contents.htm
    Look under "Vaccinating for Marek's Disease" (second one from top). I followed this article closely when I vaccinated for the first time (a year ago). It's very easy to do by yourself. And when the chick struggles, it really does seem more because of the coldness of the alcohol than the sticking of the neeedle. Just hold the chick (as shown) very securely and lean your forearms against the edge of the surface you're doing this over (for added steadiness). You and chickie will be fine [​IMG] .

I started vaccinating because I lost ALL but one of my salmon Faverolles bantams last year to MD (*before* I started vaccinating, of course). It was just the most awful thing, watching helplessly as one young bird after another started showing symptoms... To a certain end, of course [​IMG] .

I think that with broody-hatched chicks, they are exposed *while* they're hatching to anything that the broody is carrying, and this basically "immunizes" the chick. I've read of a person who hatches chicks and immediately broods them on *spent* litter to get the same effect as if the chick were hatched under a broody. I can only speculate, but I'm of the strong belief that the window of opportunity for "beneficial" Marek's exposure is within the first few hours after hatch (maybe that's why the vaccine is supposed to be administered within the first 24 hours). Beyond this window, first exposure will be deadly to any bird that has not inherited resistance from the "biological parents."

Yes, some breeds seem more susceptible to Marek's. In general, bantams are more vulnerable, but I've read that Dutch bantams and d'Uccles seem to commonly come down with it, and from personal experience, I know Faverolles bantams are frequent victims.

You can vaccinate older birds (it's safe) but no one can say for sure if it's effective.

Sorry so long-winded. Unfortunately, I've learned WAY more than I ever would have wanted to about this horrid disease.

-Naomi

8. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    To get the dilutent out easily, Take a large needle, like a 12 or 14gauge and a 60cc syringe. Put the needle in turn the bottle upside down and draw out 50cc of dilutent. piece of cake! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by