Mareks survivors ok to take these birds home?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by pnp4kidz, Jan 30, 2011.

1. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

So someone needs to regime three hens and two Roos. One roo survived mareks and is now 2. Then she tells me ahe hAd mareks again last year. Is it safe to adopt these birds??

edited to correct the misspelling caused by my iPhone's autocorrect... ugh...

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I personally wouldn't want to adopt Marek's survivors.

There are too many healthy chickens in the world to choose from.

3. sydney13

sydney13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2010
    Massachusetts
    because mareks does not infect chickens after a certain age I would think it would be okay, but if you ever get any new chicks have them vaccinated for it.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Marek's Disease? Not in a million years. I have no idea what mateos is, but any chicken who had had a disease like Marek's would never come here. Sorry for the bad news, but you do risk losing them all. [​IMG]

5. junebug7334

junebug7334 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    No!!!!!!

6. pnp4kidz

pnp4kidz Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks guys.. .I had a hunch...
    I didn't think about it when she said the one roo was a survivor, so said ok...
    and then when we were catching and loading them up... she told me that last year she had them all get it and lost a bunch, and said 'you know they shed forever'... and I freaked...
    not to mention she made the correlation that the other roo and hens must have had it so they were ok... the hens were vaccinated.

stopped at our local feedstore and the chicken guy said what you are saying... no way.
    so, as bad as it sounds, I turned around, and drove back,
    and told her sorry, but I can't...
    and gave them back...
    ugh...

the ones that were vaccinated... they also shed...? and is it a lesser virus so they can't infect others? (kind of like the polio for people)?

just curious...

I have trouble with my ranch hand bringing home chickens sometimes... but THESE were for SURE survivors of the disease... so, I couldn't risk it...

thank you all for such knowledge... I prolly saved my flock...

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    It was very kind of her to tell you before you got them home.
    good question on the vaccine shedding... would depend if it was a live vaccine or a dead, and I haven't studied chicken vaccines at all. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by