Marek's type symptoms in a vaccinated bird.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Lanciatore, Nov 26, 2016.

1. Lanciatore

Lanciatore New Egg

Nov 22, 2016
    My 18 week old Dominique hen from McMurray Hatchery has been sick for the past two weeks.

The knowns are as follows: She did get into some moldy strawberries weeks ago. Suspected botulism. Cleaned out coop. She is teased by one of the bigger hens, so there is that stress level.

It all started with her favoring one foot., and inability to stand on roost. I observed a small cut, and cleaned it. Her balance got worse, got better, then took a nose dive. I did have narrow roosts (2in) for a while, could this have deformed her foot?

The past three days I have been hand feeding and watering. She is unable to walk and barely able to sit on her own.

Symptoms: Partial paralysis, almost bare preen gland. Dry comb with small white spots. Sparse feathers.

I thought maybe malnutrition, but have been giving Vit and Mins. (Yogurt, Cottage Cheese, layer feed mixed with scratch), scrambled eggs, wet cat food.

The possibilities still rank as Marek's first, then maybe a Staph infection etc. She has been hanging on the past few days. Eating and drinking well, just not ambulatory.

Question is this. Even know she was vaccinated, could this still be Marek's? What other possible things can I do.

Will be loading up pictures of her eyes, body, vent/preen gland, feces.

Any other treatment suggested, I'm waiting to see what happens the next couple days before I euthanized her. Also, suggestions on humane affordable euthanisia.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2016
  2. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    [​IMG] It is possible that this might be Mareks. Her immune system may not have 'reacted' to the vaccination, or inadvertently she may not have been vaccinated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by