1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marek's Vaccinating new chicks and older chicks.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SavvySAM, Mar 8, 2014.

1. SavvySAM

SavvySAM New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I just received my hatchery chicks. All 13 of them with the Marek's and Coccidosis vaccine. I am going to be buying 20 more chicks from someone local who does NOT vaccinate. They will be a few days apart, as well as two, two week old chicks included when I pick them up. My question is whether the Marek's vaccine effective in chicks over 1 day old? Like those two week old chicks. Is it safe/ effective to get them vacc'd? By the time I get these new chicks, my hatchery chicks will be about 3 weeks old.

2. Nambroth

Nambroth Fud Lady

Apr 7, 2011
    Boonies of NY
    My Coop
    Please read the first section in this article, called "Vaccinations". It should answer your questions much more thoroughly.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

In short: Marek's vaccination should be administered to chicks within 24-36 hours of hatch, and said chicks must be kept in quarantine/separate from any older birds or exposure to the older bird's areas for at least three weeks for the vaccine to have the best success at working.

3. TheChickInn

TheChickInn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 29, 2012
    I personally would not purchase chicks that have not been vaccinated for Marek's - I experienced a big loss of unvaccinated chicks I had purchased years ago. When they were between 16-20 weeks old- we lost half of them. Is there any way you could purchase the chicks on the day they hatch and do the vaccinations yourself?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by