1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Marek's vaccination complication

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by LJack, Mar 10, 2013.

1. LJack

LJack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Our broody hen has just hatched 3 chicks in the past 48-24 hours. We just gave one chick the mareks vaccination and it went all wrong. I gently held the chick while my husband gave the injection, .2 ml subderal using a very small needle (a TB needle/syringe) as we saw in a youtube video. Immediatly afterwards the check displayed neurological symptoms, right sided weakness, inability to stand. My husband is a nurse and insists he gave it correctly. Has anybody else experience such a thing? We were so saddened by this we did not continue vaccinating the others.

2. LJack

LJack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Correctiion, we used a small insulin syringe.

3. SD Bird Lady

SD Bird Lady Chillin' With My Peeps

I was curious so did some searching. Everywhere I seen it said to do .2 mL of dilute vaccine. Did you make a dilute solution? I have no experience so I am going to stay subscribed to see what you find out. Hopefully everything goes well.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    wow this was a big fear of mine! so much so i didnt vaccinate mime! how is the chick now? is it better? ive heard of the risks. i Hope your chick gets well soon! please keep us posted on how hes doing ok. im so sorry anout this happening! keep us poted with updates please
    i wish you the best! again im sorry

5. LJack

LJack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Yes, we mixed a couple of cc's of dilutant into the little freezed-dried vaccine, and then poured that mix into the 1000 ml bottle of dilultant, then drew up .2ml of that for the injection. The vaccine was ordered from the nearest supplier I can find, took only a day to be delivered. It was packed with a cold pak in thermal bubble wrap. Was still cold when I unpacked it, and I promptly but it in my fridge where it was stored for 2 days until use. I used the vaccine within 15 minutes after it was mixed.

We spent days studying about vaccinating chicks before attempting. Watch videos, read countless articles, links and discussions boards.
    It made it sound all so simple, but I haven't found anything about negative outcomes or complications. This is the reason for the post, to learn what went wrong, or if anyone else has had similar episodes.

6. LJack

LJack Out Of The Brooder

Jan 12, 2012
    Realsis, thank you for your concern. The chick did not make it, it died during the night. I kept praying it was just temporarily in shock, or a temporary side effect, but it wasn't. What's puzzling is that when I read the symptoms of Mareks, the paralysis, a stiff leg, that's how the chick looked within minutes after the injection.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by