Marek's Vaccination for bantams?

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm considering ordering chicks from My Pet Chicken, and get 3 or 4 Silkies in my order. Only problem is that they don't vaccinate their bantams, including silkies. I don't know of any hatchery that does vaccinate bantams, or they don't say so on their website and the hatcheries probably don't have a low minimum on chicks. Is it okay to not have vaccinations on Marek's if it's just a small number of silkies?

Smoky73

Lyon Master
14 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Colorado
Whether its a bantam or not, it can still contract Mareks. If you have had it in your area, you need to have them vaccinated or do it yourself. I have a tutorial on my website on how to do it.

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
Oh, I didn't mean it like that.
Some people say that it's not a big deal if you don't vaccinate for Marek's if there's just a small number of chickens. And also I thought that you could only vaccinate at one day old, so once the chicks are shipped, wouldn't it be too late?

Quella

Songster
11 Years
Dec 20, 2008
I'll go look at Ideal, thanks!
Can they be vaccinated after one day?

Akane

Crowing
11 Years
Jun 15, 2008
Whether vaccinating is a big deal or not depends on who you ask. There's quite a few including me that don't vaccinate at all. There's a long thread I think somewhere in the chick section of the forum on opinions and reasons to vaccinate or not.

crzychicken

Songster
11 Years
Jun 24, 2008
last year I got reg sized hens and some silkies my 1st chickens they vaccinated the reg chickins and not my silkies or batem I kept them all together and they were fine I don't think I would vac. my chickens ever again but that's me!
It's your choice .

Top Bottom