Marek's Vaccination for bantams?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Quella, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Quella

Quella Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 20, 2008
    Sorry if this is in the wrong section.

I'm considering ordering chicks from My Pet Chicken, and get 3 or 4 Silkies in my order. Only problem is that they don't vaccinate their bantams, including silkies. I don't know of any hatchery that does vaccinate bantams, or they don't say so on their website and the hatcheries probably don't have a low minimum on chicks. Is it okay to not have vaccinations on Marek's if it's just a small number of silkies?

2. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Whether its a bantam or not, it can still contract Mareks. If you have had it in your area, you need to have them vaccinated or do it yourself. I have a tutorial on my website on how to do it.

3. Quella

Dec 20, 2008
    Oh, I didn't mean it like that.
    Some people say that it's not a big deal if you don't vaccinate for Marek's if there's just a small number of chickens. And also I thought that you could only vaccinate at one day old, so once the chicks are shipped, wouldn't it be too late?

4. tamlynn

tamlynn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Torrance, CA
    I ordered bantams from Ideal and they were vaccinated.

5. ChooksChick

ChooksChick BeakHouse's Mad Chicken Scientist

Aug 17, 2008
    Larry, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Anyone know if they can be vaccinated after 1 day?

6. Quella

Dec 20, 2008
    I'll go look at Ideal, thanks!
    Can they be vaccinated after one day?

7. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    If they have not been exposed to other birds or their previous cages, yes you can vaccinate them. Best to do it soon as possible.

8. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Whether vaccinating is a big deal or not depends on who you ask. There's quite a few including me that don't vaccinate at all. There's a long thread I think somewhere in the chick section of the forum on opinions and reasons to vaccinate or not.

9. crzychicken

crzychicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    last year I got reg sized hens and some silkies my 1st chickens they vaccinated the reg chickins and not my silkies or batem I kept them all together and they were fine I don't think I would vac. my chickens ever again but that's me!
    It's your choice .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by