Mareks vaccination for hatchery chicks? Yes or no?

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by wvbusdriver, Jul 9, 2011.

1. wvbusdriver

wvbusdriver New Egg

Jun 20, 2011
    When ordering chicks from a hatchery is it important to have them vaccinated for Mareks disease? This is my first time ordering from a hatchery and I am new to the chicken raising. Suggestions??
    Last edited: Jul 9, 2011
  2. teddiliza

teddiliza Chillin' With My Peeps

I always get mine vaccinated. It's not that much more expensive, and I have heard heartbreaking stories of those who's birds have fallen victim to Marek's to watch their beloved pet become slowly paralyzed and not able to eat or breathe or walk. Some recover, some don't. I'm not taking chances with all the effort I put into feeding and raising my baby chickens. You also never know what the wild birds are going to bring to your yard either. I also show my bantams, which is another concern for me since I take them elsewhere, the fear of them catching it.
  3. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    I am going through it right now, if I vaccinated I could have minimized my losses, now I am probably going to lose 100 birds(a lot of chicks). I have an order of chicks I got from a hatchery last week and I had them vaccinated...
  4. Matt A NC

Matt A NC Overrun With Chickens

Feb 22, 2007
    Morganton, NC
    I get all chicks from large hactheries vaccinated for Mareks. I made the mistake of not doing this with the Cackle chicks last year. Of the 19 I kept, I have 4 that managed to survive.

You have to realize that hatchery stock has been vaccinated for generation after generation. As a result it is difficult for the chicks to have a natural immunity to Mareks like most backyard chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by