Mareks Vaccination good or bad for chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ging3rhoffman, Mar 5, 2009.

1. ging3rhoffman

ging3rhoffman Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    I have time to cancel my Mareks Vaccs if they are not needed. I read some post that had me worried about chicks dying due to vaccinations. Any advice? My chicks will be shipped out on Monday the 9th from Meyers. Thanks:hugs

2. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    Firstly, good verse. [​IMG]

Secondly, I am admittedly new to this, but from what I understand, the vaccine is only needed if you have a LOT of chickens. Confuses me, though, because I have heard of some birds dying from Marek's, even in a very small flock.

So, basically, I am of no help to you. [​IMG] Hope you find out soon!

~Cherlyn

3. red rosecomb

red rosecomb Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2008
    Pretoria- South Africa
    My chooks alwaysget their Mareks diseases shots, but as for my granny's chooks, well they never got theirs and they are going into their 9th year of life this year so I cant really help you with this.

9years of life and still no sign of getting sick or dying and no vaccines.

WIERD! [​IMG]

4. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    I order the vaccinations too. I also only ordered a small amount. I am planning on free ranging whenever possible and I have heard wild birds can transfer it also so I thought better safe than sorry.

5. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I would go ahead and get them vaccinated. Mareks can be spread by a variety of other means and not just other chickens. You might get lucky and your chickens will never die from Mareks... or your chicks may die a horrible death. The vaccine is a good preventativea and Mareks is fairly widespread....

Oh... I like the Bible verse too:)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  6. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Someone on another post compared vaccinating them for Makek's to vaccinating for polio. The odds of them getting Marek's is pretty low but it is devastating when they do. And like a lot of vaccinations, I've read it is possible to get Marek's from the vaccination, but the possibility is very low. You'll note I am referring to what I read as I am not sure of any of this.

I am getting my hatchery chicks vaccinated. Cackle has a $10 minimum for any number of chicks. They only charge about $0.10 or $0.12 each, but you have to really order a lot to get a volume discount. I don't know what other hatcheries do.

I do not plan to vaccinate any that I hatch. My thought is that with the large number of chicks handled by any large hatchery, there is a chance of exposure no matter how careful they are. With a closed flock, I can still get it from wild birds, but the odds are not very high. I'll take those chances.

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    The odds of gettings Marek's is a lot greater than getting Polio. I have a small flock, and so does my neighbor. We were both hit with Marek's once. Never again. I will always vaccinate now. Just make sure you do a proper quarantine.

8. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    Jody, correct me if I'm wrong, but once you have Marek's vaccinated birds or vaccinate yourselves, don't you pretty much have to always, from then on, vaccinate new chicks, and make sure to purchase only adults that have been vaccinated? I believe I read that vaccinated ones can shed the virus to those that have not been vaccinated....I DO vaccinate for Marek's, but just wanted to clarify for Ridgerunner, who stated s/he is buying vaccinated chicks, but does not plan to vaccinate any s/he hatches. Thanks, Jody! You're our resident expert on Marek's vaccination, I think! [​IMG]

9. crooked stripe

crooked stripe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 14, 2008
    N.E Ohio- Suffield
    ging3rhoffman, What do you have coming on the ninth? I am picking up Ameraucana's on Monday. Just curious on what is hatching out. Mine will be vaccinated.

10. texas_chick

texas_chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    I called my extension service and they said they haven't had a single case of Mareks in our area for almost a decade. So I skipped it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by