1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marek's Vaccination

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TillinWithMyPeeps, Jan 20, 2009.

1. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    If I am going to have a smalll flock of only a couple of birds, should I get the vaccination done?

Is there any real reason not to get the vaccination?

Would it take away from the all-natural aspects?

2. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

nope,, ya dont need them vaccinated.
    i get mine because i sell them and dont know "what situation" their going to. but most hatcheries will tell you its not a needed thing in a small flock.

3. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    Yes , vaccinate if you planning on keeping them for a long time. You can buy the vaccine an do it yourself. One vial is good for 1000 poultry. Jefferslivestock.com

4. TillinWithMyPeeps

TillinWithMyPeeps Waiting for Spring...

Aug 22, 2008
    Ohio
    The hatchery that I am getting them from offers the vaccination. It is only $.25 per chick and for the couple that I am getting that won't be an issue at all.

Does anyone know of any reason why I should not get the vaccination?

5. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    NO reason not to get it! GET IT! Mareks can be brought in easily by wild birds that fly over your run or your yard...it's very easy for them to get, and I've seen them die of it; trust me, it's NOT worth not doing.

6. Wildsky

Wildsky Wild Egg!

Oct 13, 2007
    California
    I'd skip it. [​IMG]

7. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    Marek's is worldwide and is a terrible disease. Get them vaccinated.

8. TXmom

TXmom Chillin' With My Peeps

I chose to get the vaccination even though I will only have a small flock. My reason for doing it - there are a few houses with chickens/ducks/geese/etc within a 2-mile radius of me, and Mareks can be spread by wind!

9. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I do it, and for only a few cents per bird it's worth it. Once they have the disease it is an awful death.

10. bantamgal

bantamgal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2008
    Get the vaccine. There is no reason not to. It is spread like wildfire.

Watch a bird of yours die after spending months taking care of it and loving it, only to see it fade away. Itt is just aweful.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by