1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Mareks Vaccination

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by bigredfeather, Oct 24, 2008.

1. bigredfeather

bigredfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    First off, what is Mareks? I am going to be getting some Cornish X chicks and this is an option. I was wondering if this Mareks vaccination is necesary? And what are the risks if I don't get them vaccinated?

2. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Mareks is a disease which poultry can get. It's pretty much lethal to anything infected. If you already have chickens and don't have Mareks, then I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In general, broilers are never vaccinated. Their life is too short for it to make practical sense or a justifiable cost. Hatcheries simply offer it on broilers because they'd like to make that extra dime per bird, which really adds up when you're selling thousands at a time.

3. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    Thanks! It's 22 cents extra where I was considering. Speaking of that, I am planning on getting them from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. Does anyone have anything good/bad to say about this place?

4. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    Yes. People get birds from there who use these forums.

Considering all the hatcheries buy their breeding stock and hatching eggs from the same poeple, it really make no difference where you get the birds. The only recommendation is that the less far the chicks travel, the better off they will be. So proximity should be your only consideration, since quality doesn't vary much amongst the hatcheries.

p.s. If you are getting any hens, then by all means get the vaccine. I was just commenting on broilers only.

5. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I will have to travel about 2 hours 1 way to get them, but I figure that is better than paying shipping. Plus, I can keep an eye on them that way.

Thanks for the info!

6. swampducks

swampducks Overrun With Guineas

Feb 29, 2008
    Barton City, MI
    Quote:I got my buckeyes and golden laced wyandottes from them and all are all fine and looking beautiful after 10 weeks. I had bad luck with their guineas but they hatched early and got stuck in a post office far away for a weekend. They refunded my losses.

I must say though, the surviving guineas are doing nicely, too.

7. bigredfeather

Oct 1, 2008
    Yorkshire, Ohio
    I did some more browsing through Meyer's website. They have a great selection. I was thinking about adding another breed to compliment my RIR. I am considering Buff Orpintons. If I'm making a trip, it would make it more worth while. Will Buffs and RIR's be a good breed combo?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by