1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marek's Vaccine @8 weeks or not?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ADozenGirlz, Jan 17, 2010.

1. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I just purchased 3, UNVACCINATED Frizzle Cochin chicks from a breeder at 8 weeks old. All 11 of my other chickens (who are 6 mos old) were vaccinated by the hatchery. Is it too late to vaccinate my Frizzles? Is it ever too late to vaccinate birds new to your flock?
    Any input on the subject would be appreciated. Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I talked to the company on that question..... they said although it may or may not prevent it in older birds, it would not hurt them. The key is trying to vaccinate them before they are exposed to Mareks. Since Mareks exists in the environment, once they go outside, out of the brooder you don't know if they were exposed yet, as many chickens are exposed but do not react to Mareks. So, you can vaccinate your chicks to hope that they were not exposed yet, or risk that they have. I personally vaccinate since it is cheap to do so, and for my peace of mind. But it is your choice, Best Wishs.

3. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Quote:Ditto

4. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    Quote:Thanks for that info. My girlz are still in the Brooder, so I'll get 'em done ASAP! Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by