Marek's vaccine advice!!! ASAP!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by leela2012, Mar 31, 2012.

1. leela2012

leela2012 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    I want to purchase these 3 day old Silkie chicks from the feed store. They have not been vaccinated for Mareks. The guy said it's fine, but I don't want to bring them home and have them die. I also have a small flock of 5 other chicks that have all been vaccinated already. They are 1-3 weeks old. Can I buy the vaccine and still vaccinate the 3 day olds? Is it bad to mix the new unvaccinated Silkies with the other 5 babies? I need to know asap, as the feed store is holding them for me, since they are otherwise sold out. I just worry that they have already been exposed since they are at a feed store. Any advice? I read that you can vaccinate at any age, but so much mixed stuff I am reading. I am so new at this, and all I know is I don't want to have any of them die on me. It's too sad......Thanks!

2. Aeropennchick

Aeropennchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I'm surprised that they aren't vaccinated and are in a lot at a feed store! Are you sure that guy wasn't mistaken?

3. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    I do know that vaccinated chicks should not be exposed to unvaccinated ones for 10 days after they got the shot, because that's how long it takes to be sure their immunity has developed.

The feed stores around me had all vaccinated chicks

4. leela2012

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Yes, I am sure. I called today and they said that they werent expecting them and when they received them, they realized they weren't vaccinated. He said they would have had them done if they knew they were coming. He said all other chicks are vaccinated. So what do I do? Not get them? [​IMG][​IMG]

5. Aeropennchick

Mar 20, 2012
    Southern PA
    Well, if your other chicks are more than 10 days, I say go for it and try to vaccinate them yourself! Just be careful they aren't exposed to anything for a while.

6. leela2012

Mar 29, 2012
    San Jose
    Thank you so much! They were hatched on the 24th so not quite 10 days.... I guess I'll have to pass on the Silkie babies :( I'm very sad about that .....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by