Marek's Vaccine - ALL OR NONE?

klf73

Mad Scientist
14 Years
Jun 1, 2008
Maine
I am dealing with what I believe is Mareks. I am sending 2 to be tested. I was given information from one of the sources of my birds. I need this info to be validated so if anyone has a website etc that can help I would love if you can post a link for me.....
this is what I was told-
"if hers weren’t vaccinated, you exposed them to Marek’s by exposing them to our chicks. Marek’s is a live vaccine. You need to have all or none vaccinated"

I also wasn't told this before these birds were on my property, so disclosure should have been provided so I could have spared myself all this heartbreak. thanks in advance for any help you can provide

The vaccine strain of Merek's (it is a live virus vaccine) will not transmit the disease. However, Merek's is ubiquitous and nearly all birds will be exposed at some point in their lives. If they are unvaccinated, they could well get sick. But not from the vaccinated chicks.

Quote:
Exactamundo...couldn't have said it better myself.
thumbsup.gif

Quote:
I am being told that my unvaccinated chicks got sick(possibly) because the vaccinated chicks transmitted to them
The asked the vet how the vaccinated chicks would be getting sick. It is either a bad vaccination or they were exposed to the virus(not properly isolated from infected birds) before immunity from vaccination took place.

thank you guys for validating that a properly vaccinated chick will NOT transmit to unvaccinated chicks. The second brooder of chicks didn't have direct contact(even then a wall was between the brooders) with the first until they were at least 6 weeks....

Last edited:
also, the second brooder wasn't exposed to ANY other birds on my property and are still isolated

I am being told that my unvaccinated chicks got sick(possibly) because the vaccinated chicks transmitted to them

The Marek's vaccine does not prevent Marek's. It prevents the lesions from forming that causes the damage. It is possible for vaccinated chickens to catch Marek's and transmit Marek's to other chickens. The vaccinated chickens will never show the symptoms. But if they happen to catch Marek's it is not because of the vaccine.

thank you guys for validating that a properly vaccinated chick will NOT transmit to unvaccinated chicks.

This statement is not correct. It can happen, but it is not because of the vaccine.

One way Marek's is spread is through the air. The dander the infected birds give off contains the virus. I don't know how isolated your chicks were, but Marek's spreads very easily.

Sorry, I should have clarified. I meant they didn't transmit BECAUSE of the vaccine...

Back
Top Bottom