marek's vaccine for new chicks?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by sharol, May 3, 2011.

1. sharol

sharol Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    I have 7, 10 month old pullets -- all were vaccinated upon hatch before shipping (I ordered them from MPC). I want to get 5 more chicks. The store I want to buy them from says they were "probably not vaccinated" at the hatchery, but they aren't sure. Is it safe for the babies to add them to the flock when they get to adult size? Once they go outside (when the weather warms up -- probably in a month or 6 weeks), they will be in a separate (tractor) coop until they get to be 4 or 5 months old, but they will be on the same ground as the adult birds and have only wire separating them (I will be letting them out of the run to free range at different times than the adult birds, and they will have access to the outside of the fencing on the adults' run at that time) and the adult birds will have access to the outside of the babies' run when they are free-ranging.

I don't want to condemn them to death right off the bat, but my vet thinks it probably won't be a problem. Actually I trust all of you to have better information.

2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Have your birds been diagnosed with mareks?

3. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    No. No sign of it.

4. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    The mareks vaccine does not spread bird to bird so there should be no issues.

Last edited: May 3, 2011
  5. sharol

Jun 13, 2010
    Admire, KS
    Thanks. That was my understanding, but I needed to hear it from someone who really knows.

pips&peeps :

The mareks vaccine does not spread bird to bird so there should be no issues.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by