Mareks vaccine overdose HELP

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tedschickens, Mar 11, 2017.

1. tedschickens

tedschickens Just Hatched

Jul 31, 2016
    We vaccinated some 5 week old chick after buying the vaccine online. I read the instructions then decided to follow a YouTube video instead like an idiot. I didn't mix all the dilution mix and instead gave a few chicks a mega dose from the vaccine bottle before realizing what I did. I feel terrible. Did I just Kill these poor chicks?! Has anyone had experience with this and does anyone k ow how to treat it? Tried to call a few help lines but they are closed. Please any advise would be greatly appreciated.

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi Ted[​IMG] I'm sorry you're having trouble.

Hopefully someone else will chime in. I don't have an answer to your question. The best thing to do would continue to try to call or email the manufacturer of the vaccine you used to find your answer. Another option would be to consult your vet to see if they can assist you.

1 person likes this.
  3. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    You used diluted mix from vaccine bottle instead of dilution bottle? Wow. I don't know to tell the truth. It's a live virus. I guess you will know in about a week whether they survive or not. It may overtake them.

Please keep us updated because it would be something to learn exactly what would happen.

Last edited: Mar 11, 2017
  4. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    How many doses do you think they got?

5. tedschickens

Jul 31, 2016
    Geez I dunno close to 100x. If my math is correct. Waiting for a callback from a vet but all chicks have been fine almost a day later. Apparently this doesn't actually cause a virus for them so it would be more of a vaccine reaction from the preservatives and will not "over take them" per the manufacture. He also said unfortunately there's no epi pen for chickens to treat a reaction so it would be a watch an wait. Also commercial poultry places frequently overdosed and underdose their chickens so it's not completely unheard of I don't know if that's good to hear bad hear [​IMG]. But calling as many people that will talk to me trying to get more info but so far they seem fine I'll keep an eye on them and keep you posted.
    I made a mistake, obviously. I'm sure I'm not the first person on earth. Please be kind I feel bad enough.

6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad they are doing ok.

7. jennyf

jennyf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2016
    Missouri
    I was actually thinking that probably happens every so often--more than we know! I know with an animal shelter I used to work with, untrained staff occasionally switched up vaccines that were supposed to be intranasal vs injectable, or animals were double dosed. Mistakes happen, don't beat yourself up over it. Glad they are doing ok!

8. tedschickens

Jul 31, 2016
    Thank you. I guess it's a wait and see game now but so far they seem fine. Still feeling quite guilty hoping it will pass in a week once they are out of the woods.

9. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Don't know the answer to your question but if they are alive a day later that seems good. The only question I thought of is that when we buy day old hatchery chicks they sell them vaccinated (or unvaccinated if you prefer) but from what I've read they seem to want the vaccination given within the first 24 hours. Do you know anything about this? It might help to know if chicks can be vaccinated if you get them later or from a different source than the hatchery.

10. MrsBachbach

MrsBachbach Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Arkansas
    That's good info to know. Crossing fingers chicks don't have a reaction. No one is blaming you. Life is a learning experience. Let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by