Marek's Vaccine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by misslady, Oct 19, 2011.

1. misslady

misslady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    My question for all the chicken experts out there is if there is any way to administer the vaccine on your own chicks that you hatch? Or should they be brought to a veterinarian. And for two, would or do you recrommend it?

Also, if you do, where can you purchase it? I am hatching some eggs and would like to take every precaution that I can, thanks so much for your input. [​IMG]

2. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    You can buy it online but it comes in 1,000 dose vials usually. Its not that expensive overall though...I've seen it for around $20 plus S & H.

http://www.jefferslivestock.com/md-vac-cfl-1000-ds/camid/LIV/cp/F7-J7/

Here it is for $15.

Edit: Also, its a basic injection in the back of the neck...the instructions are pretty straight forward if you're comfortable with needles/syringes.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  3. misslady

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Quote:Thanks! Is it difficult to administer? I just don't want to botch it. :\\

4. Davian

Davian Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Vermont, USA
    No idea, I've never done it personally as I just get them with it already administered. The instructions seem pretty straightforward if you are comfortable with needles. Its a basic injection just under the skin on the back of their neck.

5. misslady

May 1, 2011
    The Great Lakes.
    Thanks again. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by