1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

mareks vaccine

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by raymondjames, Dec 2, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    Any one know where to find it? Also do the chicks need to be 1 day old. Got some 3 day olds and 7.5 week olds. Is it still applicable? Will it need to be applied to a flock of 14 or is that small...?

2. seminolewind

seminolewind Flock Mistress Premium Member

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hi, I got my vaccines at twin cities poultry. With chickens, it's a race between whether they are exposed to the virus or vaccine first. After the vaccine is given to day olds, they have to be quarantined from other birds for at least 2 weeks, I do mine 2 months.

You can't know who is contaminated from your flock. You can vaccinated them all, but anything over a day old (maybe 3) may not be protected from the vaccine. If all your chickens were from a hatchery or hatched by you and never had any contact whatsoever with other chickens outside your home, you may have a good chance with the 7.5 week olds.

If it were me, I would do the day olds, then the 3 day olds, keep them separate, and might as well do the 7 week olds. You won't save them if they have been exposed, they may never be symptomatic. But, it can't hurt and since you can only buy 1,000 doses , you might as well do it. But keep all your ages separate, and do not cross contaminate for 2-10 weeks.

3. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    OK so i seperate by age. Phew (I have 23 3day olds [​IMG], seperating individually would be a nightmare...[​IMG]) ill order soon. thank god itll still work when they are older

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011
  4. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Quote:It "may" work for the older ones if they have not been exposed. The vaccine can also be divided into 4 . The directions are somewhere on here.

5. ChickieBooBoo

ChickieBooBoo Cold Canadian Chick

Dec 2, 2009
    Canada
    If you vaccinate chicks coming from a hatchery, will they be alright with chicks who haven't been vaccinated?

6. seminolewind

Sep 6, 2007
    spring hill, florida
    Hatchery chicks can be vaccinated at the hatchery. They can,t get or spread mareks frrom a shot. I would be more concerned with the hatchery chicks getting something from your own chicks. I think you should keeop them separate for a few weeks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by