1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Marek's Vaccine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by jackhorn01, Mar 5, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I have some birds that are pushing a year old now and 7 chicks in the brooder and 7 more on order. As the near year olds were my first birds I didn't know much about marek's and prevention and all that when I got them. I want to make sure the whole flock is protected. The 7 chicks on order will receive the vaccination from the hatchery. The ones in the brooder I am checking with the people I got them from to see if they were vaccinated or not. They are approx 2 weeks old now. I should still vaccinate them right if they are not and what about the older ones? I have read where they develop natural immunities to it after 5-6 months of age and its no longer a worry in those birds. Is that the case or should I hit them with it too?

2. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

After the first day the vaccination doesn't work.

3. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Ok, so the chicks have to be given it almost literally upon hatching or forget it right?

4. salt and pepper

salt and pepper Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes, the first day, or not at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by