Marek's? Worms? I'm clueless!!!

812mommyof4

In the Brooder
Feb 14, 2015
I have a 7 month old hen that is having issues walking and using her wings properly. She is also having issues eating. It's like she can't focus on what she wants to eat and misses. She won't bend down to eat. I have to bring it to her face. I am also syringe feeding her water.
I found her laying on her side last Thursday in the pop so I brought her in. I'm hoping this isn't Marek's disease. Any thought?

I have a 7 month old hen that is having issues walking and using her wings properly. She is also having issues eating. It's like she can't focus on what she wants to eat and misses. She won't bend down to eat. I have to bring it to her face. I am also syringe feeding her water.
I found her laying on her side last Thursday in the pop so I brought her in. I'm hoping this isn't Marek's disease. Any thought?
Hi and welcome to BYC!

Marek's is usually what causes the sight problems, but coccidiosis and worms can cause paralysis. How aggressively do you want to treat her?

-Kathy

So far just force feeding her. I called our local vet and he is also clueless. He told me to turn to this site for help. I can switch her to medicated feed and treat for worms. When I treat worms what is best way to do so?

So far just force feeding her. I called our local vet and he is also clueless. He told me to turn to this site for help. I can switch her to medicated feed and treat for worms. When I treat worms what is best way to do so?
Medicated feed won't treat coccidiosis, you need Corid for that. For worming I use Safeguard liquid for goats or paste paste for horses at 0.23ml per pound orally for five days. You can get both Corid and Safeguard at Tractor Supply in the cattle, goat and horse section.

Call your vet and ask him if he'll sell you a size 18 french catheter and 60ml catheter tip syringe for tube feeding.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom