Mareks

Jan 9, 2022
I had a rooster die and sent it for a necropsy. The results is mareks.
I have 17 other chickens. 10 of those are only 2 months old. And I have 12 in the incubator with only 3 days left.
Has anyone dealt with this?
What are the chances for the other chickens of surviving?
I have one now I thought was suffering from wry neck and another that got sick in December which I am pretty sure she has it. She isn't able to completely stand up but she was completely paralyzed.

I honestly think it may just depend on the bird. Some survive and some don't. You will need to close your flock and I personally would not continue hatching eggs and woud instead come my flock.
If I would have known this would happen I wouldn't have incubated eggs. I actually wish I wouldn't have. The vet said the same. It depends on the chicken and there immune system.

Sorry that you are dealing with a terrible diagnosis. There are a number of BYC members who have Mareks in their flocks, and deal with it. Mareks vaccine is available online, and you can give it to day old chicks. They need to be kept away from any contact with chickens, dust and dander from those chickens and the coop for 2 full weeks to develop immunity. There is no guarantee that they will never get the disease, but it may help. Any chickens that come into contact with your flock will become carriers. Some may get it, some may not. Vaccinated chicks will still test positive, but might not develop the paralysis and tumors that others have. Many people only breed the chickens in their flock who don’t get symptoms of Mareks.

Sorry that you are dealing with a terrible diagnosis. There are a number of BYC members who have Mareks in their flocks, and deal with it. Mareks vaccine is available online, and you can give it to day old chicks. They need to be kept away from any contact with chickens, dust and dander from those chickens and the coop for 2 full weeks to develop immunity. There is no guarantee that they will never get the disease, but it may help. Any chickens that come into contact with your flock will become carriers. Some may get it, some may not. Vaccinated chicks will still test positive, but might not develop the paralysis and tumors that others have. Many people only breed the chickens in their flock who don’t get symptoms of Mareks.
Thank you. I already ordered vaccine.

Back
Top Bottom