Mareks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Arthur, Jul 31, 2010.

1. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Ordering chicks. To vacinate or not to vacinate for Mareks "that is the question". My concern is, will the vaccination affect the eggs we will be eating later on ? Thank you for your input.

2. CathyRN

CathyRN Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2010
    Sevier County, TN
    I ordered my chicks from mypetchicken.com........and vaccinated all of them prior to delivery, they give you that option. I've read too many devestating stories on this website of people that have lost entire flocks due to this disease. It is aweful once it starts. My advice would be to definately vaccinate....then you can do organic feed once you get them home and follow a natural regimen with them. Much worth it ! Good Luck.[​IMG]

3. Alabama ee

Alabama ee Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    It won't do anything to the eggs.

We had all ours vaccinated.

4. KentuckyChick

KentuckyChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Central Kentucky
    All of mine are vaccinated.

5. woodmort

woodmort Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    Oxford NY
    Vaccinate and be very glad that is an option. Why would you think it would effect the eggs? It just helps the chickens develop immunity to the disease. Now if you were to feed laying hens a feed containing some kind of medication, that could effect the eggs. There is a difference.

6. littlethorn

littlethorn Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    Northern California
    I would advise you to vaccinate. Mareks can kill all your chickens and there isn't a whole hell of a lot you can do to treat it or prevent exposure since it's airborne . There is no reason why it would affect the eggs later on as all it does is give the chicken's immune system protection against the disease.

7. Arthur

Arthur Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Thanks everyone. The chicks are coming this week and will be vaccinated by the hatchery. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by