Marek's

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by 2overeasy000, Jul 25, 2011.

1. 2overeasy000

2overeasy000 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 1, 2010
    Do most people vaccinate for Marek's? I have 6 new pullets and am wondering if most people vaccinate? Also, I have 7 laying hens already. How old/what age is a safe time to integrate the new pullets with the laying hens? Specifically, I am asking about waiting to make sure the new pullets seem healthy, as to not infect the laying hens. Not sure if my question is clear, hopefully it is.

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I didn't vaccinate for Marek's. I think the individual decision to vaccinate for it or not should be based on research of how much a problem Marek's is in your local area. A good place to start your research is by calling your local agricultural extension office. They are usually listed in the phone book in the government section.

Generally it's a good idea to wait until your new pullets are roughly the same size as your current hens, when thinking of intergration issues. For health reasons, i.e., quarantine, a minimum of 30 days.

3. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    Thank you for your input. I didn't vaccinate the laying hens last year when I got them either. I hadn't even heard about this until after I got the new pullets. I've had them for about 30 days now and that is exactly what I was asking about so again, thank you. The pullets are in a A frame tractor and the hens are in the perm coop and they usually get to free range for 1-2 hours just before sunset. So, the hens have been up close and personal with the pullets but can't get at them. But I am thinking about letting the pullets out to free range with them this week(they are 8 weeks old now) and see how it goes.

4. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    At eight weeks they should be fine. If I buy chicks I usually vaccinate but if I hatch them I don't. Though, I must admit Idk why I vaccinate bc bantams can't be vaccinated so their isn't much of a point to vaccinate some but not all and why vaccinate if idont vaccinated the one I hatch? I must be doing it for my own closure...never had a problem though

5. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    I've got all my chickens from a local farm around here and so far I haven't had any problems. I haven't vaccinated, wormed, or ever given any medicated feed, and all my birds were outside in the dirt and grass by 6 weeks old. Maybe it's just reading all the horror stories on here all the time, but I was just wondering if I was doing something wrong or have just gotten lucky so far.

6. Stoney22

Stoney22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    new hampshire
    Id say your doing it right. I think its more concern in a dirty unwept environment but I could be wrong

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I am one of those horror stories. I got chicks from a reputable source and they came with Mareks, now I am wishing I vaccinated the rest of my flock. I am still experiencing losses and will continue to lose these babies as I was using my bator and have since these chicks got here. They infected my whole property [​IMG] This is my 4th season with birds and my first problem (other than mites). Just goes to show....you never know [​IMG]

8. 2overeasy000

Dec 1, 2010
    I'm sorry to hear that. How did you first know that they had Marek's?

9. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    The first one seemed to have a leg injury at 4 weeks old, then a second started about a week later... thought maybe some of the bigger chicks were being rough with them(they were polish). Wasn't until an orp and Brahma developed leg issues it clicked. The second chick that was affected ate like it was starving but still got skinnier, then died. It was after my 30 day quarantine(actually 6+ weeks) that I had moved a different brooder next to them with unrelated chicks from a different source that then transmitted to those birds( they JUST finished their 30 days) and they became symptomatic a couple weeks later [​IMG] . The "source" is saying mareks is on my property and essentially I killed the birds.

10. Newbee2012

Newbee2012 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2012
    How do you know for sure if a chicken has mareks?I have a pullet about 12 weeks old and two weeks ago she started having balance issues with one of her legs, now she trips all over herself and sometimes draggs her wing the one on the same side as the bad leg, she is still eating but feels skinny and she is breathing with her mouth open, her eyes look ok to me but I'm not sure what to look for. Should i take her out of the coop? I have 9 other pullets in there with her all the same age. Do I need to disinfect the coop if it is mareks? I called the local vet and he laughed and said he dose not do chickens. HELP I do not know what to do. Thanks any info you have or advice would be great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by