1. mochicken

mochicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    I have a 5 week old Black Copper Marans that has been laying around today so I grabbed her out to figure it out, she is acting ok except when she walks she is picking her legs up high, walking weird and every once in a while she will ball up her right foot when shes walking and kinda stumble to one side or the other. She usually catches herself and all but she is stumbling, I am concerned.

Do you think its a leg injury from being stepped on or something? I inspected her feet and they are fine with no gunky build up or anything and her nails are all intact

Last edited: Dec 11, 2011
  2. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    It could be nothing or it could be the start of something. I don't know either way. If it is an injury it will likely heal in a few days without any intervention on your part. If it is an illness then you may see progressively worsening signs. You may want to familiarize yourself with the signs of Marek's Disease in case you see worsening symptoms over the next few days.

I hope you figure out what's going on. Good luck.

3. anderson8505

anderson8505 Peace, Love & Happy Chickens

Quote:x2

4. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    omg I hope not, I have 10 chicks in the same coop, I have 7 barnyard mixes and 3 Marans chicks in there. Would it kill all of my chicks that have been exposed to it?

5. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    She is getting worse I think, I have her separated from my other chicks now in a Rubbermaid tote and she sits to eat or drink but when she stands up she gets wobbly and sometimes flaps her wings to prevent herself from falling, I think I'm fearing the worse now, probably mareks? She has been in a brooder/grow out pen with 9 other chicks, what are the odds they will get sick too?

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Quote:The odds are pretty good, unfortunately. I know little about Marek's so here's a bump to hopefully get some more knowledgeable folks to help you out. You may want to edit the title of your post to indicate the possibility of Marek's. You may get more responses that way.

Sorry for your situation.

7. mochicken

Apr 27, 2011
    NW Missouri
    OK I edited the title.

As I awoke yesterday I went to her cage like I do every morning, she had a leg in front of her and a leg behind her, I tried to stand her up and she was unable to stand, she just rubbed her beak on the floor from left to right and then started flapping her wings trying to get up.

I could not watch this anymore, I have been taking care of her getting progressively worse for 5 or more days. I had to cull her, I took her about 2 miles from my house and culled her and buried her there. I know I didnt have to bury her but its a nice thing to do. I took her far away from here so if it was Mareks then it wouldnt be on my property.

I am still VERY curious if the ones that have been sharing a brooder / cage with her will get sick?

8. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
    Only time will tell. That posture you were talking about (one leg in front and one behind) is pretty much classic Marek's. Hopefully someone who knows more about this disease will chime in. In the meantime, use the search bar at the top of your page to search out info on Marek's Disease. There was just recently (like yesterday or the day before) a good write up posted in this section of the forum on Marek's. Find out everything you can in case you have a need for the info in dealing with the rest of your flock.

I am sorry you had to cull her. I know it is probably small consolation, but I would have done the same thing in your situation.

Good luck with the rest of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by