MAREKS !!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CarlieO, Feb 16, 2014.

1. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    Hey all,

I have a chick who, about 5 days ago began showing symptoms of what I thought was a leg injury.

Backstory: This chick is 5 1/2 weeks old. In a pen with 21 other chicks of the same age. This particular chick was purchased, along with 3 others, from a breeder. They were added to my brooder with 18 chicks that I hatched from my own flock. All chicks are the same age. This brooder is in a barn with a coop of 17 other adult chickens separated by a stall wall. The 4 chicks that I purchased have always looked 'rough.' Their feathers are growing in scattered. They have bald patches and minor scabs on their skin. Only their wings have feathered out at this point. No mites or lice have been seen.

Back to 5 days ago:
    Chick began limping. I removed it and put it in it's own cage so it wouldn't get trampled by the others. Thinking it is a leg injury.

4 days ago: Chick began gasping for air and having audible wheezes when breathing. Still can't walk. Can stand just fine if I pick it up and put it on it's feet. Wings flap fine. Chirp is strong. Can eat and drink when food is put in front of it. Has a VERY healthy appetite.

Fast forward to today: Chick can't stand up at all. Bad leg sticks out behind it (classic Marek's pose). It wasn't doing that yesterday. Yesterday it could keep the bad leg tucked under itself. NO diarrhea (stool is normal); eating and drinking if I put it in front of food and water. Flops around on the ground; lays on its side. Has lost a tremendous amount of body weight.

I spoke with a vet 2 days ago who says it sounds like salmonella likely contracted from the egg it hatched in. Since it's Sunday and the only chicken vet in town is closed I can't call him with this latest update of the change in condition to not being able to stand at all.

Does anyone have any experience with Mareks? Does this sound like it or something else? Eyes, from what I can tell, look normal. It just can't stand up. One leg works, the other doesn't.

Another question: If it is Mareks' how would it have gotten it? My current adult flock has all been vaccinated. My own chicks from my own eggs couldn't have had it. It could have only come from these 'outsider chicks.'

IF it is Mareks is that normal for it to take almost 6 weeks to show ill effects? Was the dry skin and poor feathering early signs or unrelated?

I plan on calling the vet tomorrow to touch base but I know there are very knowledgeable people on here that have some advice they can share.

PLEASE HELP!!!! Thanks.

2. CarlieO

CarlieO Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    WA
    I should add...if I didn't already mention it...that I've e-mailed the breeder asking if they were vaccinated for Mareks. Still awaiting a response. She is a frequenter on BYC though.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by