Margie is unwell

Daphne_loves_mealworms

Free Ranging
5 Years
May 13, 2018
Vermont
and I’m not sure what her ailment might be. This morning, she didn’t jump up to get breakfast. She had made a bed in the middle of the pen overnight, or at least that is where she was resting first thing this AM. She didn’t want breakfast, although she did drink some water. I had to go to work, and I hoped that she was just getting a slow start. When I got home, she was resting again. She did get up and go into the pool, where she is currently. I don’t know if she ate while I was gone, but she isn’t currently hungry. She is still drinking. We were able to catch her, and I did a quick exam. No evidence of being egg-bound (I’m not actually sure that she’s ever layed an egg). No sign of any injuries. No sign of parasites. Her crop feels empty, or at least not impacted. She has been closing her eyes off and on, which seems like a sign of general discomfort. She is swimming around the pool and drinking. No coughing or sneezing. No discharge from eyes or nose. No limping. Daphne, her sister, is acting 100% healthy. Daphne does seem to notice that her sister isn’t herself. She tried to mount her in the pool (or tried to drown her?!). I separated them, but apparently Daphne found her way back in to her sister. It is very hot out today, so I don’t want to shut them away too early. I’m outside baby-sitting.

I am worried about separating them fully, because they are the only two ducks, and they’ve been inseparable up to this point.

In general, both girls are undersocialized. We adopted them as adults. While they know where the food comes from, any handling causes a lot of stress.

Yesterday, Margie seemed normal, although, looking back, maybe she was a little slower than usual?

So, I’m definitely worried.

Any ideas as to cause or treatment? These are both adults (2+ years) with no exposure to other birds (besides random small songbirds that visit their pen). Their pen is kept clean. Inside, I use pine shavings as a substrate with straw on top. No recent change in bedding or diet. I feed a duck layer pellet with added oyster shells and mealworms as treats. They also forage outside. I can’t promise that she didn’t eat something random, although I have no ideas what that something random could be.

As I sit here, she is still in the pool. Floating about seems to comfort her right now. She isn’t usually much of a swimmer.

I’m at a loss.

Does she keep returning to the bed she made? I'm wondering if she's wanting to nest.
Does she have a favorite treat? If you bring some, will she attempt to eat it?
Do you own Nutri Drench? Maybe you should give some to her. She might be low on something and need a boost.

She doesn’t appear to be nesting. It was more like she just found a comfy spot in the middle of the pen and didn’t want to move. She doesn’t show interest in any treats.

I have, temporarily, moved Margie into my bathroom. It has been very hot, and I’m concerned that this could, if not be the cause, at least be making things worse. I syringe fed her a small amount of “soup” made from duck mash and water with a tiny bit of molasses mixed in. I will feed her a little more before bed. Daphne is going to have to deal with being solo for the moment.

Edited to add: The feed store is closed, as is the local market. I’m going to have to make do with what I have today, but I will be able to stop by tomorrow before work.

She doesn’t appear to be nesting. It was more like she just found a comfy spot in the middle of the pen and didn’t want to move. She doesn’t show interest in any treats.

I have, temporarily, moved Margie into my bathroom. It has been very hot, and I’m concerned that this could, if not be the cause, at least be making things worse. I syringe fed her a small amount of “soup” made from duck mash and water with a tiny bit of molasses mixed in. I will feed her a little more before bed. Daphne is going to have to deal with being solo for the moment.

Edited to add: The feed store is closed, as is the local market. I’m going to have to make do with what I have today, but I will be able to stop by tomorrow before work.
That's a good idea, the heat can really mess with them.
What you're doing is great. I wonder if you'd benefit from vitamin b complex as well... https://www.amazon.com/Durvet-Vitamin-Complex-Injectable-Livestock/dp/B01DOFK0CA you can get it at TSC too like Nutri Drench....

Thank you. I do have a little bit of B Complex on hand randomly as my cat required weekly injections for a bit. I just can’t seem to find a proper duck dosage!

I fed Margie one more time via syringe. I’m sure she got not nearly enough, calorie-wise, but she got something. I let her swim in the tub all evening, but then drained the water and set her up with a nest made of towels + a food and water bowl.

Tomorrow morning, I will re-evaluate whether the stress of keeping her inside and away from Daphne is worth it. I have to work in the afternoon/evening, so hopefully, I can get some decent food into her before I go.

This evening, she seems maybe a little improved? She pooped a couple of times in the tub. It appeared normal enough. She is definitely weak, as I wouldn’t have been able to catch or treat her otherwise, but I am hopeful.

Will say that, once they are reunited, Daphne isn’t going to be allowed to swim with Margery unsupervised for a while as she was definitely trying to drown her. Gotta love birds. Sigh.

I’m calling the vet tomorrow AM. Daphne’s behavior towards Margie this evening concerned me enough that I felt I needed to separate them for the night to keep Margery safe. Tomorrow morning, I will re-evaluate. Daphne is feeling 110% fabulous and feisty, so I had no chance of being able to catch her to bring her inside too. I just checked on Daphne and seemed just about as neurotic as she normally is, no more. I’ll be up in less than 8 hours and will update then!

Back
Top Bottom