Mariah & Kylie - my pekin ducklings!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by toowoombapekins, Jan 2, 2014.

1. toowoombapekins

toowoombapekins Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    Hey everyone,

I'm Darren, I live in Toowoomba, Australia. I'm new to ducks and new to the forum.

I have been keen on adopting a couple of ducklings for a couple of years now. After a lot of research and careful consideration, I finally took the plunge and picked up a couple of pekin ducklings from a poultry breeder. After some discussion my g/f (Karen) and I decided to choose 2 females as we haven't got the room to accommodate an entire family of ducklings and apparently 2 drakes can get a bit territorial, so we opted for 2 females. The ducklings were a week old when we picked them up on the 21st of December.

It didn't take us long to name them based on their own very different individual personalities. Karen & I love our music so the names were naturally going to be singers names. One of the girls has a high pitch wail (for the entire hour long trip back home in the car!). She also had a bit of an attitude, so named her 'Mariah' after Mariah Carey who is well known for the same attributes. The other one was lighter in colour, she chirps away and is a little more submissive in character. So we named her 'Kylie' after Aussie singstress Kylie Minogue - anyone familiar with Kylie M would know she is blonde, fairly quietly spoken and was dubbed the 'singing budgie' so we thought it suited. :)

We've been keeping them in the house, inside a 50L plastic storage container. But they are fast outgrowing it. It's summer here in Australia, so the days are around 30-35 deg C (85-95 deg F) and nights usually don't go below 21deg C (70 deg F). They fill the container with poop and soak the straw in a few hours now. Now I'm off holidays and back to work I can't change the straw several times a day. So looks like they might be moving out to the coop (enclosed section) this weekend. I've already started putting them out in the open section during the day time and they are coping well.

They love playing in the bathtub. I can completely fill it with water now, they dive under the water and swim the entire length, snort their noses under the water, fill the bath with poop and just generally make a mess!

I picked them up a house (chicken coop, but it will do the job!). I don't have a huge backyard, so I'm going to stick the house in the back corner of the yard (between the fence and the garden shed) and fence a small area off around it. I plan on installing a small pond for them to play in. I will lock them up in the coop at night and/or when I'm not home as there is a cat that hangs around who would love to have Mariah & Kylie for breakfast!.

Anyway look forward to sharing some stories and maybe getting some advice from some fellow duck owners. Everyone else thinks I'm weird for wanting pet ducks, but once they meet them they get sucked in and want to cuddle them lol :)

Here's a couple of photos

The day we picked them up (1 week old). Mariah on the left, Kylie on the right

[​IMG]

who could resist a cuddle :), that's Kylie on the left getting chirpy!

[​IMG]

13 days old, having a swim in the bathtub

[​IMG]

and today, 18 days old - that's Kylie hogging the camera on the right
    [​IMG]

Here's the house we bought them

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. Carcajou

Carcajou Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2012
    Delhi, New York
    [​IMG] Check the "Stickys" on the forum page. Lots of good links there.

3. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    [​IMG]
    Adorable ducklings!!!!!!!! I love pekins, they are so very sweet! We'd love to watch them grow up (I only adopt grown ducks from shelters, so I don't get ducklings) so more pics as they mature would be fun to see!!!

4. toowoombapekins

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    thanks!
    they are incredibly cute and fun to watch. I can sit there for hours watching their funny antics

I am taking photos every day, so will keep you updated as they grow, which they are doing VERY quickly! :)

Btw their migration to the duck house has gone very smoothly. We've just been experiencing a heat wave (44C/111F), so they were quite happy outside. Next step is to coax them into climbing up & down the ramp inside. They aren't very adventurous and are scared of the smallest changes in their environment!

22 days old (yesterday), exploring the front yard!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 4, 2014
  5. Hotcookie

Hotcookie Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2012
    Ducklings are so darn cute!! I have 8 pekins currently....get ready to have lots of fun! I also keep mine in a chicken coop - it worked out perfectly for them. For treats, mine love frozen ( thawed out, of course) peas and corn. You want to buy frozen, as opposed to canned, because there is no salt in it. They also love chopped cherry tomatoes and chopped romaine lettuce. Keep on posting those cute pics - they're adorable!!

6. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I live in Brisbane and it is also very friggin hot here!! My duckies spend most days outside and we have bought them a kiddie shell pool that they have been swimming in ALOT.
    Your Pekins are adorable! I hope they learn to master that ramp!

7. toowoombapekins

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    thanks for the tips hotcookie
    I did read here somewhere they have a particular liking for frozen (defrosted!) peas.

and yes ktduck I'm hoping they learn to walk the plank. I will have to keep an eye on them, don't want them falling off and injuring themselves, especially while they are still small (it's quite a drop). I might eventually widen the ramp, because it's really designed for chickens, which don't have the big plonky feet and seem a little better coordinated lol.. At the moment, while it's hot they are happy to camp in the bottom section, I worry about it being too hot inside the enclosed section. When it cools down again I will stick them up in the enclosed section overnight and back down to the bottom during the day.

Question about food though. They are now just over 3 weeks old. I'm still feeding them duckling food (a grainy looking dry food) not sure of brand etc, it came from the poultry breeder place I bought them from. Those guys told me to feed them duckling food for the first 3 weeks and then change to an adolescent food. I can't seem to find any packaged food for adolescent ducks. If I can, I'd prefer to have a dry food as it's a lot more convenient, less messy and it can be put in a feeder for when I go away with work for a week. Ktduck, do you know any local suppliers of suitable food ? I could always drive back to Richlands where I bought the ducks, they seemed very switched on, but it's a fair hike. We have various stockfeed & supply places here in Toowoomba, if I get a product name they might be able to order it in for me.

thanks
    Darren

8. ktduck

ktduck Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Brisbane, Australia
    I use the baby duck feed until they are 6 weeks old, I mix this with finely chopped kale, sometimes box Choy. You could also use butter lettuce etc they LOVE peas. I put there duck feed over the top as they need grit to digest their food properly. Your local pet store also should stock. "Meal worms", this is a great treat and I put it in the bath with them and they dive all over for them!
    From 6 weeks I will start introducing adult duck feed, still with the greens, greens are great for ducklings!
    If I run out of greens sometimes I heat up frozen veges and chop them up too, with their feed over the top for grit. Hope some if these things help :)

9. toowoombapekins

Dec 26, 2013
    Toowoomba, Australia
    as promised, more photos :)
    I took these this afternoon, the girls are 26 days old today!

I've noticed they have started growing little stalks for their feathers over the last 4 or 5 days and slowly changing from yellow to white

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  10. veronicasmom

veronicasmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2009
    Sooooooo cute! And nice set up

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by