1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

marigolds and chickens?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by hypnofrogstevie, Mar 26, 2008.

1. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    I want to plant alot of marigold seeds in front of the perennial garden. will chickens kill them or leave them alone? are they poisonous? I have the list of toxic plants but I am stupid with scientific names lol

2. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Doesn't the Purina Sun-Fresh feed have marigolds in it? So I guess they wouldn't hurt the chickens?

3. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Ok thanks. I have to check out the bag of start & grow [​IMG]. If o then I will plant some in there run when its built

4. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    I love marigolds [​IMG] - their smell - their cheerfulness - and they keep away certain bugs from the garden.

5. d.k

d.k red-headed stepchild

* Well-- Mr. Purdue's commercials claim that marigolds are what give his factory hens their lovely golden color, if that helps any-- 'course that's to have them catch the consumer's eye- & not necessarily for any long-term health benefits. I imagine the blossoms have a lot of caretinoids. . . .

6. airmom1c05

airmom1c05 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2008
    Raymond, Mississippi
  7. BearSwampChick

BearSwampChick Chicken Sensei

Jan 10, 2008
    Marysville, OH
    Quote:I love the smell of marigolds, too! Most people I know think they stink. Can you imagine! hehe [​IMG]

8. Ace_king_brahma

Ace_king_brahma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Castroville, Texas
    Yeah I thought I read that too that they put marigolds in the feed to help yolk color to be produced as yellow. I have heard of people eating marigolds as well. I have one of those 1/4 pound boxes of marigold seeds that I plan to spread in the yard because I love marigolds. I have a box of wildflower seeds as well.

9. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Quote:Ok, everyone, place your bets how long they will last in there with the chickens. I'm going to say "four days" [​IMG]

Pat

10. hypnofrogstevie

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    LOL! well its a box of 1,000 or more seeds of different colors. Hopefully it will last a day. If not I can spread them around the yard for them to peck at.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by